The Show > Pumpkin 'tastic

Giant Pumpkins 2014 - Anyone growing this year?

<< < (2/11) > >>

Tashsteve:

These seeds were from and 250 lb pumpkin last year will give these a go!

Squash64:

--- Quote from: Dandytown on March 27, 2014, 19:49:46 ---Hi Jayb,

My first pumpkin back in 2008 or 2009 was tiny so we all start from somewhere.  If your driven to grow big then you'll grow big but most allotment holders that I know (where I live) are not too keen on giving away so much growing space to something they do not plan or want to eat. 

Yep, dairy started some time ago for this year ;)  There are some interesting photo's in there.
http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryView.asp?season=2014&grower=55348&action=L

Betty, do you still have my email address?  If so send me your address and I'll get some seed sent over to you!

I'm expecting something big from Spiriette this year if the weather is good as I have heard how much preparation she is doing.  Looking forward to seeing your pumpkin!

--- End quote ---

That is really kind of you. I will email you now.
Betty

squeezyjohn:
I've had a dabble in this area for the first time this year ... bought some giant seeds from Clive Bevan under pressure from my kids who want to enter the local competition!

And now I've made myself a hot-bed that's up and running at a nice 25ºC powered by a mixture of horse manure and spent hops I thought I'd chuck a few of those seeds in one side and let it spill over out of the frame when the weather warms up.  It gives it a nice early start in the place it will end up growing ... and once the roots get through the soil layer when the bed stops emitting heat it should have plenty of food to make big pumpkins!

If it doesn't work I'll probably get several Jack-o-lanterns of normal size so that will do me!

gaz2000:
I grew some large pumpkins a few years back so will go for a try again this year.Enjoyed delivering them to the family for halloween

Ive bought a handful of atlantic giant seeds off a trusted ebay seller ive used before,so fingers crossed

Dandytown:
Gaz, send me a message and let me know what atlantic giant seeds you have and I'll let you know if they're any good.  If you buy the standard 'Atlantic Giant' from a T&M,Wilkos or anywhere similar then they are not very good.  You really want to be getting them from a grower not a comercial source.  Most growers will be happy to give seed away for the price of a self addressed bubble envelope.

Ideally you want to know what plants produced your seed   e.g  978 Geyelin 13 (854.5 Frei x self)   This shows the weight, grower, year grown and then in brackets, the female plant and male plant (pollinator).  The weight is irrelevant but the genetics are important.  For example  a seed from a pumpkin that weighed 220.3 lbs went on to produce one that weighed 1774lbs (because it had good genetics).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version