Author Topic: Sous vide  (Read 1559 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Sous vide
« on: March 28, 2014, 18:02:52 »
It had to be done.  I've seen the fancy cooks on Masterchef and the like using sous vide cooking, and I was dying to have a go.  The problem being that sous vide cookers tend to be horribly expensive and hugely bulky.

Then last year a new not-quite-so-horribly-expensive and much smaller machine was launched, called a Sansaire.  See http://sansaire.com/.  I decided to indulge in one.  It took a while in development, but the other day it finally arrived.

I've only done three things with it so far.  The first was eggs, which are successful but ... interesting.  Put it like this - we've gone back to our traditional method.

The second was crispy chicken, which produced a much juicier result than grilling or frying, but we weren't sure was really worth the messing about.

But third time lucky.  We cooked simple rump steak.  To say that it was fabulous would be an understatement.

There are lots more things to try on our to-do list, but I can say that sous vide is worth it, if only for the steak!

http://johnnorman.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/sansaire-sous-vide-steak-est-est-est/ and other recent posts for more details and pictures.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Sous vide
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 23:16:23 »
Sous vide is a truly remarkable way to cook some things!

If you are thinking about doing it - you can make your own sous vide cooker by taking one of the cheapest slow cookers on the market (sometimes £9.99) and fitting it with a PID device which has a temperature probe and regulates the temperature very accurately indeed ... like this

Mine works very well and keeps the food within about 1 degree C of the desired temperature set on the PID.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal