Author Topic: cutting flowers for a show  (Read 2207 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
cutting flowers for a show
« on: April 03, 2014, 21:35:39 »
[imghttp://][/img]
We often get people saying the flowers are out too early for shows and we try to explain that they will keep if cut for up to about 10/12 days. These two pictures show some of my flowers cut for shows. The first one shows flowers cut ready for next Saturday (3 days away) and were cut 4 days ago and the second photo are ones I showed at a show last Saturday and they have been cut for 10 days. I only have a shed to keep them in but if kept cool and dark they will be ok. Last Sat I won 6 first prizes, 5 second and one third so not too bad.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
Re: cutting flowers for a show
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 10:21:39 »
Timely advice indeed, I have a spring show on the 12th and each day I worry as almost all my Daff's are now out, by next weekend they may just be brown and wizened.  Any advice on making the Tulips flower in time!!
Best laid plans and all that

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 10:54:58 »
The Horsham and District Horticultural Society Spring show is next Saturday as well if there is anyone who would like to visit.

2014 SPRING SHOW & PLANT SALE

Saturday 12 April 2014    :    viewing 2.15 – 3.45pm

AT NORTH HEATH HALL, ST. MARK’S LANE,
HORSHAM, RH12 5PU

Also my local show The Southwater Horticultural Society Spring show is this Saturday the 5th of April at the village hall Church Lane Southwater RH13 9EB   2pm till 4.30pm
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 15:00:10 »
Timely advice indeed, I have a spring show on the 12th and each day I worry as almost all my Daff's are now out, by next weekend they may just be brown and wizened.  Any advice on making the Tulips flower in time!!

Our own (Lamberhurst) show is next week on the 12th and I hope some that I have already cut will last till then. I did one year have best in show one week end with loch lundie and then with the same bloom have best again the next week.  Tulips can be much more fussy about coming out but standing them in slightly warm water can help.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 15:36:19 »
Takes me back a bit Laurie......been there done that and got the Tee shirt

Saving them till the next show I have done that also.

But hark at this;

A few years ago I attended a Society show where the society asked you to leave your exhibits for their auction after the show so I left quite a few !

But guess what? the following day (Sun) I entered another show with new stock and was beaten into second place by stuff I had left for auction the previous day.

How low can people get?

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 19:38:48 »
Takes me back a bit Laurie......been there done that and got the Tee shirt

Saving them till the next show I have done that also.

But hark at this;

A few years ago I attended a Society show where the society asked you to leave your exhibits for their auction after the show so I left quite a few !

But guess what? the following day (Sun) I entered another show with new stock and was beaten into second place by stuff I had left for auction the previous day.

I staged on a Friday as I was working on the Saturday left surplus blooms for the raffle, only to find I was competing the next day against my own flowers. :BangHead:  :BangHead:

How low can people get?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal