Author Topic: Old faithfull kitchen appliances  (Read 1990 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Old faithfull kitchen appliances
« on: March 17, 2014, 22:02:21 »
Heres mine..... My OH bought this for me in 1986 and it's still going strong. it looks a little dated and discoloured but it still works.
I wanted one as it was the "in thing" and cookbooks at the time recommended them especially for pastry.

I bet some of you have much older appliances.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Old faithfull kitchen appliances
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 05:39:27 »
Kenwood mixer, wedding present in 1968! Different husband now but still going strong. Fortunately have discovered a Kenwood enthusiast who supplies spare parts and special attachments for mixers the same age as mine and much older. Have bought one of similar vintage for my daughter plus a frighteningly fast slicer/shredder.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:07:40 »
My Kenwood only goes back to 1979!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:10:44 »
 A french white enamelled cast iron frying pan, must be coming up to 50 years old as I got it with the Embassey cigarette coupons. I had to make a new long threaded bolt about 20 years ago to keep the handle on. Would set you back £100 nowadays.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:09:38 »
My mixer was a present for babysitting in 1974.  The young parents had just got married and got two, so gave me one.  I hope their other one has lasted as long!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 13:19:27 »
Actually I made a mistake - I should have said we were given the Kenwood mixer in 1966, not 1968. I use it about every week and sometimes more often. However, I made the mistake of mixing bread dough with it in 1968, and the dough hook snapped off. Since then I have mixed bread by hand perfectly happily.

Not quite an appliance, but I bought a cheese grater from the village hardware shop in 1966 or 7, and expressed shock at the price (2/6 or something like that). The patient man said it would last me a life time, and here we are, nearly 50 years later, and he was right - it looks as good as new still. The same cannot be said of a potato peeler from the same place and time that had the nerve to disintegrate in a shower of rust a few weeks ago.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 15:33:42 »
My Sicomatic S pressure cooker was bought in Germany where I was living in 1968. It has two pans, 2.5l and 6.5l. The larger one I use mainly for extracting juice from blackberries and raspberries for jelly-making and for jam-making (using as a saucepan).  The smaller one is also used when I need a deep skillet. I can still get replacement sealing rings and valves online too!! A very useful piece of kitchen kit!

Tricia

Golach

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 20:15:31 »
Definitely my Kenwood Chef 901.  Brilliant machine.  I bought it at a car boot sale a few years ago.  Saw it sitting on the floor, looked up and to my surprise it was my neighbour selling it.  I got it for £10.  Best bargain I've ever had.  Took it home to discover it was brand new - still had the protective film on it.  Looked like it was an unwanted gift.  Same neighbour had a stock of spares and accessories.  All I need for it now is the ice cream maker attachment.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal