Author Topic: Newbie here.  (Read 1978 times)

Alipip

• Not So New ...
Newbie here.
« on: March 01, 2014, 19:59:35 »
Have just found this forum, was looking for a forum with allotment holders as I love my allotment, and think friends on facebook may be getting a bit fed up with me talking about it!!!!
I am a 45 year old grandmother, who works at a pre school and have had an allotment for 5 years now - the first two years with half a plot, then moved to a full plot. I was brought up around allotments, both my dad and grandad had a plot at the site I am on - grandads was only two plots away from where I am now.
Look forward to 'meeting' you all.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Newbie here.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 20:54:54 »
A big welcome to A4A.  Sounds like an amazing allotment dynasty.  I hope you like it here and stick around.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 23:03:31 »
Hello and welcome Alipip,

I know the feeling, allotment discussion is taboo with friends and family here too - interestingly they are quite happy to accept the produce from it though. My grandfather had an allotment too and I can remember seeing it over the back garden wall as a youngster. I'm a firm believer that the seed to growing is not only planted in the earth but the mind too.

Ninnyscrops

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 06:41:00 »
Hi  :wave:
I totally understand, I love to talk about my plot, but quite honestly I think my friends just think I am losing the plot!  I come from a long line of gardener a too, great grandad, grandad and Dad, I remember them all growing their own veg. My dad(rip) used to help me on my plot until he became too ill,  I still can't bring myself to remove his gardening shoes from my shed. I hope Atleast one of my children will continue the family tradition. Such a shame that these days kids think that veg comes from the supermarket, shrink wrapped with use by dates.
Here's to a great growing season  :sunny:
reduce, re-use, recycle.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:33:15 »
Hello and welcome, this is a great place to chat to like minded folk!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 09:34:55 »
Welcome to the nuthouse Alipip, where abouts are you from.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 12:19:35 »
Yes, welcome! My father grew a lot of vegetables in various plots and was a particular lover of broad beans. I have three plots on two sites, and my daughters, both with very time consuming jobs, work away at their vegetables and fruit as well (my son thinks we are mad). Too early to say whether any of my 8 grandchildren will catch the bug.

Alipip

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 17:07:43 »
Lovely to hear so many people with generations of allotment holders - as for 3 allotments - I take my hat off to you :tongue3:.
I agree that people are always glad to receive the produce, and I often think of the old chicken licken story from when I was small!!!!
My daughter comes down with me sometimes, and the other week we took 2 of the grandchildren. It was great as they were looking for worms, pulling up weeds and talking about the roots and looking about. They love it.
The children from work think it is lovely, we are going again tomorrow to have a look around with them. Just talking about what is growing is good for them.
You all seem a great bunch, and glad I found here.
Oh, I am an Essex girl by the way :happy7:.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal