Author Topic: sweetcorn and squashes  (Read 1090 times)

cornflower

sweetcorn and squashes
« on: July 15, 2006, 13:18:56 »
HELLO   ;D

I was a wondering if anybody can help? I have planted squashes in between my sweetcorn and I am a bit concerned as the squashes are romping away taking up most of the ground.. my sweetcorn is planted in blocks 14" apart.  I am tempted to remove the squashes, but thought I would check here first. 

thank you

claire

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: sweetcorn and squashes
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 13:33:03 »
They'll be fine. I always grow squash in between my sweetcorn and sometimes beans as well. It's standard Native American practice. Once the sweetcorn really get going you won't be able to see the squash.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 09:58:04 »
Oooo i never thought of that - i planted sunflowers in between my sweetcorn rows instead LOL

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 15:10:16 »
I grew mine like that the first year, but last year the squashes romped and the corn struggled, and the squashes won, so this year I have planted them seperately.  :-\

You can always re-route your squash plants using bamboos to direct the long trailing stems were you would prefer them.

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 19:25:33 »
How is the corn doing? Is it looking scraggly? I would be inclined to leave everything where it is and make sure I kept giving everything a good watering and feeding regularly.

I've done the same thing with my second batch of corn. I've got three bush courgettes in the midst of my three rows of 18 sweetcorn. However I suspect the sweetcorn is a wee bit too close together.  :o I also planted beans with the sweetcorn but have only seen one of those. Everything seems to be getting along well. The funny thing is this is the second batch of corn is bigger than the first batch (what's left of it.)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 19:53:08 »
My corn is romping away while the squashes struggle. I did have two small ridge cucumbers the other day though. I plant the corn 18 inches apart each way, with the odd gap where a squash goes in. I also underplant climbing beans with squash. That's doing far better, but that's because it was in the mini greenhouse where it was warmer and more humid than the others under cloches with the ands open. Next year I'll be blocking the ends to keep the warmth in.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 19:55:35 by Robert_Brenchley »

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 20:47:25 »
I read somewhere that you can plant beans, sweetcorn and squashes together. I am growing the sweetcorn in the midst of the vines and all appear to be doing well so far. No harm done last year either. Haven't tried the beans bit yet.
This year it's squash.

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 23:01:22 »
both doing well on my plot.

you can just make out the squahes betwwen the corn
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing