Author Topic: Is NSALG membership worth the money?  (Read 4151 times)

g-uk

• Not So New ...
Is NSALG membership worth the money?
« on: February 17, 2014, 16:09:36 »
Our site pays membership to the NSALG, but I wonder if it is worth paying for.

My experience of their customer service is very poor. They don't seem to have helped with regards to rent increases and cuts to allotment funding in our area, and I feel they have been unprofessional in their responses to emails.

Is membership to NSALG a waste of money?

andyswarbs

• Not So New ...
    • Eynsham Allotment Association
Re: Is NSALG membership worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 16:56:56 »
We left the NSALG mostly because they seemed expensive for what they offered.  Our insurance costs alone dropped by 2/3rds by leaving them.  With around 120 plotholders their charging system per plotholder was a key problem.

The idea of belonging to a bigger organisation has a feel good factor and the political importance over the longer term might be useful but...   The big but is on what subject would we ask and get suitable advice from such an organisation about our association.  The answer is probably none.

Even in 2005 when we were established as an independent association we became NSALG members by default - probably because it helped our Parish Council feel good about the correctness of our formation. In practice, looking through the records, I see little evidence of input from NSALG and all the hard work was done between parish council officials and the committee.  What was created was arguably as good as it gets, and certainly good enough.

My gut feeling is that uber-organisations such as NSALG need to justify themselves more clearly and fully - and work out a charging system that reflects real value.

(I say the above as someone who was not involved at the time of these decisions, so my opinions reflect my interpretations of what happened.)

g-uk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 17:12:35 »
Thanks. Perhaps I should bring up terminating membership for discussion at our next site AGM.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 15:27:18 »
I have been looking at this one, seems it include public liability insurance in the price of membership seems it does not just cover SW

http://www.allotmentssouthwest.org.uk/

andyswarbs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 17:10:40 »
For our association the SWCAA would generate an additional annual bill of around £350?  If the cost of membership for an allotment association was say £50 then that would be a no brainer, but adding £2-3 per plotholder to pay to a national association needs very clear justification, imo.  I have scoured the various associations and as yet I see no real value that stands out.

One question that raised its head recently was that of employer's liability insurance.  The SWCAA say they can do that for an extra £10.  But as we see it it is not necessary, providing we don't pay anyone (eg reduced plot rental) for joining a working party - which we clearly don't.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 18:12:32 »
As I understand it you might need employee insurance for volunteers even it you do not pay them.

andyswarbs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 18:22:19 »
As I understand it you might need employee insurance for volunteers even it you do not pay them.

That's not our understanding.  There has to be an employee-employer relationship and the borderline is whether there are any benefits.  Benefits can be in kind as well as paid.  Our volunteers get absolutely no benefits of any type and nor do we, as their committee.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal