Author Topic: potting compost  (Read 1701 times)

Sparky

• Quarter Acre
  • New chick on the lottie
potting compost
« on: March 15, 2005, 19:01:10 »
Off to buy my compost to start off seeds for lottie this week and was wondering what sort to get... there seem to be so many different types!!  Also can anyone recommend anywhere cheap to get it from as the prices  seem to range a lot and i'm always one for a bargain!!

Sparky

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re: potting compost
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 21:31:00 »
I used a peat-based multipurpose last year and things did fine. Not very environmentally friendly, and this year I went for organic composted bark. Seeds seem not to be doing as well with this though  :-\
B&Q growbags both peat and peat-free are £1.40 ish  :D Grew great toms in the peat free last year ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 22:00:08 »
I'm afraid cheap is the way I go.  I am currently on a mammoth sack of B&Q regular potting compost, but I must confess, it is pretty chunky so I am sieving it as I go for seeds.  If I want to beef it up for potting up bigger plants, then I do about 50/50 potting compost and my own compost or leaf mould, with maybe a handful of grit or sharp sand....if I have any that is.  Check out your local nurseries, ours often have specials on....3 for the price of 2 for example.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 22:10:39 »
I follow EJ's rule of  cheap, therefore I use year old growbag material. Once germinated, I pot on with the same material, with a sprinkling of blood fish and bone added.
Tomatoes and peppers etc end up in new growbags later on.
My plants seem happy, hence so am I.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 22:27:26 »
That's a good tip about reusing the growbag compost for seeds.  Never thought of that.  Ta
I came, I saw, I composted

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 19:44:47 »
check out INSTORE
it used to be poundstretcher
they have loads of stuff in ours

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal