Author Topic: Seed Sharing Circle 2014?  (Read 100023 times)

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Re: Seed Sharing Circle 2014?
« Reply #460 on: August 09, 2015, 20:57:04 »
I've got Gilfeather Turnips in too, which look very healthy. Am glad my 2 squashes are doing well - I have 2 Potimarrons nearly ready to harvest, which is very early, even for them. I didn't have space for the AmberCup this year though.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 20:58:55 by sparrow »

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #461 on: August 10, 2015, 07:11:56 »
I have 2 Potimarrons nearly ready to harvest 
Wow, that seems early, good growing. I don't think any of mine will be ready for ages. Yum I can't wait to get tasting though, I think I'm way to impatient to grow winter squash!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #462 on: September 21, 2015, 22:15:12 »
I have a kiwano question - I'd really like to save seed from one of the fruits, any tips on how long to leave the fruits before opening and whether the seeds need fermenting to clean them?

I've got 6 possibly 7 fruits on one plant growing outside. We've eaten one green and it was really tasty, and I might be able to cloche the plant if early frosts look imminent. Though that would involve bundling all the tendrils together, and they are very prickly! :)

Purple Ukraine & Blush tomatoes have been amazing, so tasty! And the gilfeather turnip does seem to have broken my swede curse. Unless they've been heavily slugged underground, they will be the best I have ever grown. The tsygansky peppers have been prolific too and very nice stuffed.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #463 on: September 22, 2015, 08:36:06 »
A few years back I picked and put a couple of ripe fruits on a windowsill and left them I think for a month, before cutting them open for the seeds. I think easiest to ferment them, same as tomatoes. I'm sure you know,  scoop/squeeze out the seeds into a yogurt pot or similar and add a little water, leave nature work for a few days before rinsing and drying the seeds.

I like Purple Ukraine too, really useful type and grows really well.

Lol, go Gilfeather!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #464 on: September 22, 2015, 21:14:38 »
I harvested the seeds as we were eating them, ie when the fruit was good and orange.  I squeezed them onto a kitchen cloth and pressed to 'burst' the gel around them and then scraped them off with a knife and let them dry on a plate.  Wasn't sure about fermenting, so didn't in the end.   :wave:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #465 on: September 23, 2015, 09:12:01 »
Thanks both. The good and orange stage is a ways off. :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #466 on: October 18, 2015, 16:41:41 »
I just love Georgian beans.  With any luck I'll get enough seeds together for another bean from Georgia for the group.  However, I'd like to comment on Georgian Runnerbean .  Which is a French bean for definite.  But the shape is just like a lovely long runnerbean, easy to see where the name came from.

Loads of beans and despite a very late start here and not the best place in the garden, these have done very well, love them,  thank you MR  :wave:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #467 on: October 19, 2015, 08:55:55 »
So pleased you like them, occasionally you do wonder if there is a reason ie taste that seed falls from favour. Our beans suffered from black fly early on, I didn't want to spray so abandoned them only to look again two weeks ago to find a they they had "grown again" and are the tenderest I've every known.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #468 on: November 18, 2015, 11:04:16 »
Scratch what I said about hoping to offer seeds from another of the Georgian beans this year - I didn't get enough seeds in the end due to late start here.  Next year.  But I certainly managed to harvest a healthy quantity of Georgian Runner seeds for growing again.  Yes they are nice and tender, even when the pods are getting quite mature.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #469 on: November 18, 2015, 14:15:51 »
I've got loads of elephant garlic seeds, but not as many perennial brassicas as I'd hoped due to poor pollination. I'll find something.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #470 on: November 23, 2015, 15:06:55 »
I have a question.  Unfortunately goodlife is not talking to us or I would have dropped her a message.  It is about the Aji Fantasy pepper she shared with us last year.  Mine grew well and have produced well.  Very pretty, waxy looking, white peppers that are yummy, best raw in salads, with just a tiny hint of warmth.  :sunny:

I definitely want to save seeds from this one for future years.  Problem is that none of the fruit has turned red yet.  I have now planted them up in the conservatory and still no red fruit.  Presumably just like with any other pepper it is unwise to collect immature seeds from peppers that haven't turned red?  But I have never grown these before.

Is anybody in the group growing them and can please advise whether their fruit is turning colour?  What are the chances that Aji overwinters?  Thanks in advance for any advice.   :wave:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 15:11:42 by galina »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #471 on: November 23, 2015, 15:26:20 »
Galina - I grew these and they are supposed to be yellow and don't ripen to red.  I could be wrong but pretty sure they are what I grew and they were all yellow.  I didn't save seed but I'll think they will be fine

http://www.fatalii.net/Chile_Peppers/Aji_Fantasy - shows packaged yellow fruit so I think you are good.  I was going to overwinter them but left them out too long and they got frosted...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #472 on: November 23, 2015, 23:13:51 »
Galina - I grew these and they are supposed to be yellow and don't ripen to red.  I could be wrong but pretty sure they are what I grew and they were all yellow.  I didn't save seed but I'll think they will be fine

http://www.fatalii.net/Chile_Peppers/Aji_Fantasy - shows packaged yellow fruit so I think you are good.  I was going to overwinter them but left them out too long and they got frosted...

Shame yours got frosted. 

There appears to be a more yellow and a pearly white version.  The one from the seed circle is white.  Thank you for the observation that they don't change colour.  I was starting to wonder.  And you have put my mind at rest.  I will save seeds from the most mature, but not wait for a colour change any longer.  Much obliged :-)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #473 on: January 11, 2016, 10:31:39 »
I have now for the first time in many years of growing the 'Cara la Virgen' bean which was shared this year seen it on www. 
http://www.miespaciogourmet.com/tienda/alubia-blanca-seca-cara-la-virgen-o-boliche-del-pilar.html#

As happens so often with handwritten seed labels on swapped packets, I should correct a minor spelling mistake and the translation of the bean's name which I adopted from my donor. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Ba%C3%B1eza

La Bañeza is a town in the province of Castile and León, so the translation: 'Face of our Lady of Lions Bath' ought to  be corrected to 'Face of our Lady of La Bañeza in León'.  And the name is 'Cara la Virgen de la Bañeza León'.

Makes no difference to the qualities of the beans, but gives more accurate information on the origins of this variety.  My donor bought the seeds from a market in Mallorca, but it seems they hail from mainland Spain.   :wave:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:42:07 by galina »

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #474 on: January 11, 2016, 17:39:06 »
Thanks galina, have corrected my info. They are still a really lovely bean, irrespective of their name.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #475 on: March 17, 2016, 10:36:44 »
Had a lovely surprise - I am growing pepper Tsygansky Baron from goodlife (held over from last year).  The description said that the fruits are a deep purple and I am really looking forward to them.  Anything deep purple means there is high anthocyanin content, that wonderful antioxidant that makes blueberries into a 'superfood' (but many other berries and veg contain high anthocyanin too).

What I had not appreciated is that the leaves are also quite a dark purplish green.  I had to look twice to make sure I had not mixed them up with 'Pretty in Purple' chili peppers.  No these are definitely Tsygansky.  Goodlife described them as 'just a pepper', which sounded quite ordinary, but they are certainly standing out here even as small seedlings!   :icon_cheers:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #476 on: March 19, 2016, 10:34:28 »
Has anybody else grown Tsygansky Baron? Outdoors or greenhouse?  Any experiences would be appreciated.   :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #477 on: March 20, 2016, 10:54:38 »
I thought I had, in the poly tunnel, but now I really can't remember if I did or not!!!!!!
So no help from me!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #478 on: March 20, 2016, 11:11:53 »
I thought I had, in the poly tunnel, but now I really can't remember if I did or not!!!!!!
So no help from me!
The seeds still germinated really well this year - I used them all, but I would stick any remaining in the freezer if I hadn't sown them.  I hope to be saving fresh seeds too - fingers crossed, to keep the variety going.     :sunny:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #479 on: September 08, 2017, 08:38:27 »
A belated thank you to Sparrow.  I only got around to growing your Thelma Sanders seeds this year.  But just look at these beauties!  :icon_cheers:

Plenty more in the garden, but these had turned colour from white to cream, so can be fetched in and the plants can concentrate on the younger fruits. 

Can't wait to taste in a month or two.  The third squash is an old favourite, Buttercup.  :wave: 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal