Author Topic: A wormery  (Read 2165 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
A wormery
« on: September 05, 2017, 16:00:07 »
I am thinking about getting myself a  wormery as a xmas present for myself
Theres an ad on here that i can;t fine now But  its about 80 pounds for a 3 tier one ,Also with tap for  draining the worm juice That is good for plants or so i am told !
But is it how good is it ?
Anyone doing this or tried  Any tips etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df7obDN7ON0&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 16:13:19 by GRACELAND »
i don't belive death is the end

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Re: A wormery
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 16:10:10 »
i don't belive death is the end

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 17:10:36 »
Hi Ya graceland, Regarding the wormery I have one and have used it for a good while and now it sits in a old compost bin unused.I found it difficult to empty the juice, which by the way is very good for feeding when diluted, The problem I had is the tap position, as the worms feed and digest the food they give of a fine compost that falls to the bottom of the bin and clogs the tap making it a real pain due the position of the sump the tap sits in. It is pricey so consider making your own. I have made an extension to the tap to hold the opening above the sump as there gets quite a bit of slurry in the bottom. You could also try sitting at an angle so the majority of slurry goes the back away from the tap. The layers can be difficult to separate bit I was advised to smear some Vaseline or such like around the edge to prevent this. If any one has any tips and regularly uses one of these I would be interested to hear how you get on as well. I line the bottom with newspaper but it still clogged. Interesting to other views. Happy gardening

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 17:28:30 »
Just a thought for you Lezelle

Could you not rig a fine mesh around the tap outlet this would allow the liquor out and hold the silt back.

Plus if you can try agitating the silt & liquor mixture this should make the sieving process easier.

What brought such a thought to mind was in the past I have used sludge pumps and this has a form of mesh / sieve on the nozzle and if it got a bit clogged up you just pulled the hose back and forward slightly and this often cleared away the thick sludge /silt.

As I said it is just a thought!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 17:47:15 »
i find if you put some gauze on the inside before you start this stops the compost blocking the tap hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 18:31:24 »
I had one for a while but in the end I didn't see much point in it.  Not sure what, if anything, I did wrong but it kept getting inundated with little fruit flies and then the worms all died so I had to order some more.  In the end I just ended up putting all my stuff in my compost bins which are full of worms anyway.  You may get a bit of liquid feed but other than that I can't see the point of them.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Borderers1951

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 18:59:37 »
I have one and would not be without it.  It needs to be replenished with  veg waste regularly and a bit of fruit won't hurt either.  I have four tiers and I move the trays from top to bottom once a week.  I  empty the compost out every three months or so, saving enough worms to repopulate each tray every time.  The worm tea can be a bit of a problem if the sump clogs up but I bought some lining with the wormery and every time I empty the trays, a new liner goes into each one.  It helps prevent compost falling into the sump.  Whenever I empty the wormery, I take out the tap and give the sump and tap a thorough rinse through, which also helps prevent clogging.  Any worms (long and fat ones I used to call lobworms and short thin ones I knew as brandlings when I went fishing)  I do not keep for the wormery go with the compost into the veg beds.  The allotment robin seems to know when a new consignment of worms is due and he or she waits quite patiently for the next free meal.

rowbow

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 10:04:22 »
You have to be careful on which model you purchase, some models are prone to flood when it rains heavy, you can, of course, have them under cover.  :coffee2: :glasses9:
Spring has arrived I am so excited I have wet my PLANTS

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal