Author Topic: Mice in my compost heap  (Read 2036 times)

plotstoeat

• Acre
Mice in my compost heap
« on: October 04, 2013, 18:58:39 »
I started to turn the compost yesterday and disturbed a mouse nest with lots of babies. The frantic mother carried each baby away in turn in her mouth. I felt really bad. Not sure what type of mouse. It had mainly brown hair with a little black down the spine.

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Mice in my compost heap
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 21:45:02 »
Oh dear, that's happened to me too, also slow worms. I even feel bad when I have to destroy ant nests, so carefully formed with different chambers for different stages of offspring. But there is nothing we can do about it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Mice in my compost heap
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:54 »
Just seen this post.  It is the voles which like my compost bin.  They seem to be very good parents, I disturbed a nest under a bucket and carefully covered it again by the next day everything had gone, babies as well as all the nest material there was nothing under the bucket.   Another time I disturbed a bail of straw and a baby vole fell out so I carefully put it in a plastic pot and covered it with leaves  and placed it beside the bale.  I thought it was a goner.  But next day the pot was still in position with the leaves plugging the top of the pot but no sign of the baby.   

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal