Author Topic: A.G.M. Your thoughts appreciated....  (Read 8454 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: A.G.M. Your thoughts appreciated....
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:01 »
I think that the best way to deal with someone who is being difficult is to agree with them.  You cannot have a one sided argument.   Then ask for volunteers form a subgroup to investigate and discuss whatever the problems are and then move swiftly on.  Or just put the items on a list to be discussed by your committee.   What about simply asking for his issues before the meeting.  If he will not write, then you will have to do it for him.   

There is always democracy.  Ask for a vote on whether to continue to discuss whatever the guy raises.  Make sure you have canvassed a good number who will be sure to vote with you before the meeting.  Then send the item to the end of the meeting, most people want to go home or move on to whatever comes next eg food.   

aj

• Hectare
Re: Allotments for sale
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 16:33:43 »
Hi

I missed the earlier Q&A about AGMs but I used to run a committee years ago and had a whole group of whingy 'people'.

Yes, get rid of AOB - any other bo**ocks I used to call it.

If he complains about having to give the questions beforehand, my answer was always 'if you don't think it's worth giving time to, but us allocating a deent amount of time to it within the meeting, then it's probably not worth discussing, so next time, let us have the question so that we can allocate time in the meeting to anything important enough to discuss at the meeting'. Don't give him time, just say 'you were asked to submit these beforehand, if you want to discuss something, please submit it before the next meeting for us to allocate time to it. Thanks. And move on.

Just keep with the 'if you think it's important enough, we need to know so that we allocate time' and make sure ALL your commitee members stick to the script.

sarahbell

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 21:26:10 »
AOB at an agm can only be deat with at the next agm.

Let them talk.

The next meeting should be a general one .. You can have it straight after if you ant.

Our chair needs to go. He regularly breaks rules, makes the site dangerous and causes upset amongst plotters.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Re: Allotments for sale
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2014, 12:44:39 »
Hi

I missed the earlier Q&A about AGMs but I used to run a committee years ago and had a whole group of whingy 'people'.

Yes, get rid of AOB - any other bo**ocks I used to call it.

If he complains about having to give the questions beforehand, my answer was always 'if you don't think it's worth giving time to, but us allocating a deent amount of time to it within the meeting, then it's probably not worth discussing, so next time, let us have the question so that we can allocate time in the meeting to anything important enough to discuss at the meeting'. Don't give him time, just say 'you were asked to submit these beforehand, if you want to discuss something, please submit it before the next meeting for us to allocate time to it. Thanks. And move on.

Just keep with the 'if you think it's important enough, we need to know so that we allocate time' and make sure ALL your commitee members stick to the script.

Thank you aj, that is very helpful.  I've printed it and forwarded it to the rest of the
committee.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 17:48:22 »
Have you had the AGM yet?

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 07:53:42 »
Have you had the AGM yet?

No, not yet PL, it's on April 13th.

(I'll be glad when it's over)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal