Author Topic: A4A Biggest tomato competition 2014  (Read 20316 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: A4A Biggest tomato competition 2014
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 19:58:10 »
This  :iroc:  is what I'll need to transport mine from the plot to the weigh bridge!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 08:26:34 »
Nothing particularly big planned for this year, but should any grow to more than a couple of pounds I'll report back.  Somebody has to come last  :icon_cheers:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 08:29:41 »
This  :iroc:  is what I'll need to transport mine from the plot to the weigh bridge!!

what..?...lego car?... :tongue3:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 08:32:19 »
Nothing particularly big planned for this year, but should any grow to more than a couple of pounds I'll report back.  Somebody has to come last  :icon_cheers:

Don't get too comfy on the 'last spot'...you might need to share it later on..

I almost had same accident with grow lights than last year...saw dog going sniffing around and she pushed herself too far into my seedling 'tent'...just about knock the light down. Luckily I got there in time and all is well...dog gate is on now!!!!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 12:51:53 »
Pets - just as well they are so lovable, otherwise we would not tolerate them.  Is it a coincidence that pets and pest are nearly the same word? 

Glad your tent and set-up stayed intact.  Mine are sitting in the conservatory.  And I have spotted greenfly  :BangHead:

Glad to share the last spot with you!    :tongue3:

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 13:10:12 »
Hhhm. Had a few seeds left from last years Big Zak's that jeannine had sent me from Canada ,cheers jeannine ,but not one has sprouted from when I planted them in February.....so don't know what happened there so no biggies from me other than some beefies that only play at being large,but stick me down anyway,you never know,maybe the Dorset dirt might have a surprise or too.

Gazza

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 17:08:02 »
Hhhm. Had a few seeds left from last years Big Zak's that jeannine had sent me from Canada ,cheers jeannine ,but not one has sprouted from when I planted them in February
Gazza

That's a shame, I've got more than I need, send me a pm with your address if you'd like a few Big Zac seeds, can't promise they will be huge though!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 18:43:53 »
2 handbags and a big challenge planted in their final pots now  :blob7: :toothy10:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 19:35:31 »
6 plants are planted now into their final positions....bedded in with my extra special compost concoction  :icon_cheers:

And the 'race' is on.... :icon_thumright:

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 20:25:06 »
I have stalled on sowing my  giant toms this year I have 15 different ones sitting at the first leaf stage so you all  have had a good start on me this year time will tell if it pays off holding back a bit as frosts are forecast this weekend up here
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 11:37:16 »
My tomatoes for this comp are looking good..they have 'beefed' up, they are just over 1 ft tall and have first truss of flowers. Yesterday I picked all the smaller flower buds off leaving only the one big main flower on. I've never ever done this, but it was just moment of madness that 'hit me'....of course I had to do it, just to see what happens.. :drunken_smilie: :icon_cheers:
I can feel it in my water that we have good year for tomatoes ahead... :icon_cheers:

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 12:13:04 »
Gosh..how time fly..3 months since last message! There is much to update...not a singe BIG tomato is ripe yet, which is VERY good news indeed....."keep hanging on there....and bigger you get..."
In spring I planted 6 varieties that were suitable for this challenge..and out of those only 1 plant has produced something that is looking promising....rest of them have decided to go more 'quantity rather than size'...BUT on that one plant there is 3 fruits..which one is looking already like one big whopper  :icon_cheers: :toothy10:

Sooo...anybody else doing anything with their 'giants'?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 10:50:23 »
Well...it is bit quiet on tomato comp section...but here we go..my entry is ripened and I'm VERY pleased for the results.. :icon_cheers:
The tomato itself is utterly and totally tasteless. I had little nibble and after taking the few seeds out, rest made into chickens dinner plate....and it was gobbled up very greedily indeed.. :icon_cheers:

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 11:06:32 »
All my tomatoes are still very green. Not even pale green.  All grown outside not in greenhouse, is this where I've gone wrong?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 11:19:41 »
Disaster! Went into the greenhouse this morning to find my largest tomato on the floor! And still green......aargh!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 13:50:47 »
Well...it is bit quiet on tomato comp section...but here we go..my entry is ripened and I'm VERY pleased for the results.. :icon_cheers:
The tomato itself is utterly and totally tasteless. I had little nibble and after taking the few seeds out, rest made into chickens dinner plate....and it was gobbled up very greedily indeed.. :icon_cheers:

Oh my hat! My greenhouse hat too!
Goodlife. I just got in from removing all but the biggest tomato on a plant in the greenhouse so it can get bigger..........
Then I came in here and saw yours.... I could nearly cry.   :BangHead:

Blimey lass.............. That;'s going to be a toughy to beat... Mine is all of three-quarters of a pound just now....

Still, ya never know.... I suppose second place is still up for grabs....?
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 19:03:53 »
All my tomatoes are still very green. Not even pale green.  All grown outside not in greenhouse, is this where I've gone wrong?
Not 'wrong'...but I do suspect you might need to grow these sort of toms in GH..that little bit extra shelter and warmth does help. I doubt that our UK growing conditions are good enough for big beef tomatoes..even we've had quite good summer.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 19:04:52 »
Disaster! Went into the greenhouse this morning to find my largest tomato on the floor! And still green......aargh!
Upps!.. :BangHead: Green 'scrapings' chutney on menu?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 19:07:19 »
Code: [Select]
Blimey lass.............. That;'s going to be a toughy to beat... Mine is all of three-quarters of a pound just now....
Still, ya never know.... I suppose second place is still up for grabs....?

We'll see about the second place... :tongue3: I've got another whopper still to ripen...still much smaller than the first one but promising indeed :toothy10:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 20:31:19 »
I decided to weigh my fallen beauty out of interest... It weighed 324g! Not bad eh!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal