Author Topic: Unhappy spider plants  (Read 1816 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Unhappy spider plants
« on: January 30, 2014, 09:55:30 »
I had two spider plants in the same pot.  When I divided them I found that the roots had become fused and cut the root ball in half, repotted them in a bigger pot.
Now they have some dead leaves but a few good ones.
Should they survive?  Any advice?

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Unhappy spider plants
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 14:02:51 »
They probably will as they are tough beggers.  I would have possibly trimmed a few leaves back when I repotted - maybe give them a bit of a dilute feed now to see them through and get some new growth?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 14:35:38 »
Cutting trough the root ball and the damage is quite likely answer for those dying leaves...I've had similar experiences and from that, I would say there is nothing to worry. Just be careful with watering while the plants are recovering.
I don't usually replant spider plants, but when they get pot bound..I root some 'babies' in glass with drop of water and start it all over again. Resulting plants  being much healthier looking than those that have been chopped and repotted....unless the whole root ball has received new bigger 'home'.

Spider plants are one of the most toughest and forgiving plants for rough treatments and difficult growing condition... :icon_cheers:

small

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 16:56:26 »
If you've killed a spider plant by any other means than tossing it on the compost heap in the depths of winter, then you'll be the first ever person!
Just keep them warm and comfortable, they'll recover, and if not I bet you'll find plenty of people with 'babies' to spare.....

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 00:21:16 »
If you are feeling very brave you could cut off all the top growth leaving just a clump. Pretty soon, particularly as the day length and light improve fresh new leaves will grow and in a couple of months the plants will look healthy since all the growth will be new.

I root some babies in spring and the overwintered plants get planted in the garden in the summer as exotic bedding. By autumn they always look very lush but I always dig up some to overwinter so I can begin the process again next year.

I bought a plant of Chlorophytum Krookianum which is said to be hardy in the southern half of the UK. (spider plant is C. Cosmosum var. vittatum It is planted in a sheltered semi shaded spot so we will see.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal