Author Topic: Ercilla volubilis  (Read 4656 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Ercilla volubilis
« on: February 03, 2007, 16:04:49 »
I'm always on the look out for scented climbers that will grow well in the shade.  Today I came across Ercilla which looks like it might fit the bill.  I want to grow it in a pot (no choice) and keep the height and spread to about 6'x6'.  I can't find out much about it - can't even find a decent picture of the whole plant.  I wonder if anyone is growing this plant and if so if you think it will be okay in the conditions I've described.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
Re: Ercilla volubilis
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 19:14:45 »
Ooooooh, where did you find this? I only know it by a latin name: Nevererdovit

;D

Anyway, I googled and came up with these sites for info:

http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/climbers/ercilla%20volubilis.htm

http://www.cgf.net/plants.php?genus=ERCILLA

http://plantsman.com/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=207&osCsid=a8015ab64c898a43a405f0867f23d868

... and now I want one too, so that's another week of skimming the budget, and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 19:32:25 by Amazin »
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 20:51:54 »
I've found it slightly cheaper but I've not yet compared sizes and postage.  Want me to get you one as well or will you be looking 'dahn da market'?  ;)

http://www.mailorder.crug-farm.co.uk/default.aspx?pid=7752

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 21:35:56 »
(SPLUTTER!) I've just looked at the postage - starts at 25 quid!   :o

Many thanks for your kind offer, but I might try nipping 'darhn the frog' next Sunday.

Either that or I'll knit one - I've got some fluffy pink wool somewhere...

;D
Lesson for life:

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 22:26:14 »
Having looked in my 'library' the earliest reference is in one of grandad's books (1898) - A hardy evergreen creeper, with stalked, alternate, entire, sub-coriaceous leaves, adhering to walls etc, like ivy.  It goes on to say that it is an excellent plant for covering walls.

Another reference to E volubilis is in a book I got from a remaindered book shop called Botanica (the book, not the shop) :-

"This vigorous species from the Andes grows to a height of 30 ft.  With age, it bears numerous spikes of green to purple flowers in spring, followed by purple berries."

The other reference I have is in the RHS A-Z Encyclopaedia of Garden Plants.

In all articles the word 'vigorous' is used.  I think you are going to have your work cut out to keep something 6 ft tall, that has the potential of growing to 30ft.  Also the reference to 'with age' it bears ............ flowers.  My interpretation of that would be that you would have to let it have 'free reign'.  To keep it consigned to a small pot would mean that it would not put on adequate growth to produce flowers.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think it may be 'back to the drawing board'.

Having given it some serious thought, I can't come up with an alternative.

valmarg

It sounds a lovely plant, from the articles,

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 17:53:54 »
I think by keeping it in a pot you can effectively 'bonsai' a shrub, though.
Lesson for life:

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 19:24:38 »
Thanks for your comprehensive reply, valmarg.  I did wonder because I too had noticed references to the height the plant can reach.  But then again I agree with amazin about the 'bonsai' effect.  Still, I won't be getting one anyway if I've got to pay £25 in postage!   :o

G x

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 20:56:53 »
If I find one cheaper on one of my foraging trips I'll let you know!
Lesson for life:

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 20:59:14 »
Thanks Amazin.   ;D

G x

Jayemsee

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 22:57:41 »
Did any of you ever get this plant and if so how's it doing? I've just come across it on e-bay ~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ercilla-Volubilis-evergreen-climber-in-9cm-pot-flowers-March-/161120991255?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item25838f3817 ~

£4.50 plus £3.25 postage, but I shall be near there in a couple of weeks and might pick one up!   :happy7:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal