Author Topic: Gnashers out today  (Read 5397 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Gnashers out today
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:27:38 »
I've had a tooth ache for about a month. I went to see the dentist before xmas, but being national health they could not fit me in until today. Most of my teeth are dead and loose after major surgery a few years ago so I think a few more than the aching one are likely to come out. Next time I see them they will more than likely be grinning at me from a glass on the bedside table. I have heard loads of horror stories about trying to get on with false gnashers so I am not looking forward to the experience.

Still they ain't done bad after loosing quite a few in the navy when I was a yoof as they just ripped them out instead of filling them. They reckoned that fillings were likely to cause me trouble in the sub zero temperatures we would encounter on the artic patrols. Then they sent me to Gibraltar instead.

The Chinese dentist said 2.30 but I am sure the appointment is at 1.00

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Gnashers out today
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:04:02 »
Oooo...I don't envy you...but do go early if you think the appointment should be earlier, you don't want miss it all and wait another month. If you are too early...you could always nip out for quick 'pre-medication'...it will take pain away and numb the brain.. :icon_cheers: :tongue3:

...just get some mouth wash on the way back to freshen the gaps.... :glasses9:

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:11:01 »
I am sometimes appalled when I hear of the terrible standards of dental care in the UK. In France, as long as you have health insurance (and the vast majority do), you can get your teeth looked after without great personal expense. I am currently having gip with a tooth (a space has opened up at the root tip, and it keeps getting infected) - trouble is, despite 2 one hour appointments and endless drilling, they have not been able so far to remove the old crown's post from the root to redo the root canal. As I am TERRIFIED of the dentist, it's 'orrible, to be honest I found childbirth easier than going to the dentist. But at least they are trying to save the tooth (if it doesn't work third time though, I will ask them to rip it out, I can't go through that again).

I hope that you get used to your new teeth OK ACE. It sounds like you have been in pain, can't believe they make you wait so long with toothache!! It's unacceptable really.
We are lucky that today's "youngsters" don't have our problems. My kids have no problems, as they have always been to the dentist regularly and benefit from all the modern treatments, like resin put in the back molars to stop cavities. Wish they'd done that to me, my mouth looks like a mercury thermometer!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:18:05 »
AND....that reminded me of something...a little 'story' is on its way now...

My dad had almost a phobia about dentist..he would only go if he could not live with the pain or other problems.
Anyhow..he needed to have A filling...so he would not have to face any more drilling in future..he decided that ALL of his teeth had to come out and he would have false ones instead.. :BangHead:
Now I'm not talking mouthful of teeth as he did loose quite few in his army years and as a kid my rough games did loose few from his mouth too (ups!).
He had quite 'heated' conversation with dentist about his plans...but after all, it was his mouth, his teeth and he was paying customer..so they eventually agreed..though he did have to sign written agreement.
The big day arrived..and he had to get VERY drunk so he could face the situation..even going through the door and smelling the first whiff of the dentist room would make him 'dizzy'.
To cut the long story short...all teeth did come out that day (I would loved to be fly on the wall that day and see it all) and eventually he did get his false ones...that never did fit properly because he was in hurry and didn't wait the gums to heal properly before the moulds were taken... :BangHead: Lesson he never learned is..the whole body will suffer from (stupid) 'strong' head..
He always looked like 'million dollars' with his new grashers...mouthful of pearly whites.. :icon_cheers:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:31:18 »
..but do go early if you think the appointment should be earlier, you don't want miss it all and wait another month.

Ooh you are slow. 2.30 = Two thirty= tooth hurty in Chinese.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 11:56:37 »
..but do go early if you think the appointment should be earlier, you don't want miss it all and wait another month.

Ooh you are slow. 2.30 = Two thirty= tooth hurty in Chinese.

'tooth hurty'.. :laughing7:
Chinese are funny people.. I went to Chinese massage while ago...and she said to me.. "you are taking this very well, usually 'they' are already making noises with pain" (oh I was in pain but I tend to go 'paralyzed mode' rather than twitch of make noises with pain)
...OH went to see her last week, and when he asked her to go bit more steady this time she said.."oh I can do gentle, but doesn't do any good for you...your choice.." and OH came back with very tenderized body.. :laughing7:

Take care ACE...

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 12:37:13 »
Good luck Ace.

Dental care in Belgium is also very good and cheap or free, depending on what's being done and whether you have an annual check up which reduces costs.   I hate going to the dentist too so only go when it hurts.    Crowns are not regarded as standard treatment and cost a lot.   I once ate a rogue peanut which broke two molars and that cost me €1000 for two crowns.   Now I have another crown which has a broken shaft and need an implant which will cost €1500 or I can just have it removed and live with a gap.   Cost me €35 for the consultation and a general clean plus a prescription for antibiotics.

Possum had her molars smoothed with resin when she was little but they don't seem to do it for adult teeth.  She's 19 and has never needed a filling and I've never had to pay for her care and won't while she's still studying.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 13:02:45 »
Good luck Ace!!

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 15:15:09 »
Well it is 3.15 so why no update?

Bill

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 16:30:25 »
Well it is 3.15 so why no update?

Bill

I hope they haven't pulled his fingers out.... :tongue3:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 17:32:32 »
Well the big bugger that was giving me some grief is out. A couple of xrays were taken and they want me back in a fortnight to give me my options on the loose ones and I expect a plate as I only have wisdom teeth left at the back now and one of them is suspect.

Marvelous dentist, no pain at all and just a bit of soreness now. Starving hungry as I never ate this morning and I have to wait a bit until the bleeding stops before I can tuck into some chicken soup.

Two visits so far, One filling, one yanked out, a clean up and descale, two more visits yet for  a bit more work. £49, cheap at half the price.

Only one drawback, no alcohol for 24 hours. I'll make up for it tomorrow night.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:24:37 »
Well that was a bit of a shock this morning, I woke up all excited, only to be told the tooth fairy does not exsist. I'm shattered at the news, I was counting on that money, I thought  I still had a couple of quid still in my mouth. Sulking now. :sad8:

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 07:41:31 »
 :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 08:09:16 »
I thought over 60s got free dental treatment, same as prescriptions.

It is a pity for us old farts, when we growing up it wasn't that important to take such good care of your teeth - it was expected you would have crooked teeth and tooth loss.  In recent years, I've paid out a total of £800 for porcelain crowns and although parting with the money hurt more than the work itself, it may be worth spending the kids inheritance ACE rather than living with a mouth full of cheap dentistry.  I say that as a girlie who spends diddly squat on clothes and cosmetics.

And those Braun electric toothbrushes are fantastic.

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 08:26:08 »
Definably no free dentistry Ellen, (and no bus pass for you and me till we are too old to be able to get on a bus either!)
Agree with you about the leecy toothbrush though! brilliant :icon_cheers:

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 10:19:37 »
Bum, and I am actually looking forward to getting a bus pass as I hate driving but bus fares seem so expensive.

Off to poach an egg!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:40:48 by Ellen K »

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 12:26:45 »
Glad all is well ACE.  Shame that the tooth fairy didn't visit you!   :sad1:

I think that bus passes for the over 60's should stay.  They have to be applied for and those people who can afford them don't want them anyway, preferring to use their cars.  In my area, bus passes certainly keep many of the old doddery drivers off the road and I haven't read anything lately about elderly car drivers zooming onto pavements in their automatics and running pedestrians over.   

pumkinlover

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 13:12:21 »
Bum, and I am actually having one forward to getting a bus pass as I hate driving but bus fares seem so expensive.

Off to poach an egg!
I think we get one at state retirement age.  That gets further and further away.  I look forward to having one   too!

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 13:17:44 »
Well that is better news than you expected Ace.  Hope the mouth is not too sore today.

I was told by me dentist that flossing was more important than brushing as it keeps the gaps between teeth clean.

Anyway thankfully i have only lost three teeth, on molar, one wisdom and one ordinary one.  Unfortunately i am from the age when dentists decided to drill and fill as much as possible.  For the past 30 years all work done has been replacing old fillings.  Strangely when i was younger i always brushed my teeth and sweets were very rare and taken as a big treat.

By the way i found a pound under my pillow today so possibly the tooth fairy mis-read your postcode Ace.

Hope everything goes ok for the next visit.

I suppose the dentist said you would have to "suck it and see".

regards

Bill

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 15:51:50 »

I think we get one at state retirement age.  That gets further and further away.  I look forward to having one   too!

You ain't missing anything, I use mine a bit but there are so many old ladies using their passes that the buses stink of p!ss and lavender. A smelly one is bound to sit next to you and try to strike up a conversation. I just growl at them, usually works.

There are rumours about stopping the scheme, or making you swop your driving licence for a bus pass.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal