Author Topic: My December blog.  (Read 3040 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
My December blog.
« on: December 31, 2013, 15:59:13 »
Hi all

Just finished my last blog for 2013 so click on the link below if you want to have a look at it!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Blogspot/Dec%2013%20Blog/Dec%2013%20blog.htm

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: My December blog.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 16:55:43 »
Looks great even in December  :happy7:
Your sprouts look much better than mine did!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 17:31:01 »
Interesting as always.  I think my plots would give you a pink fit.  I have hardly any bare soil at all.   I

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 13:18:52 »
TeeGee your plot puts me to shame  :crybaby2:
What is your secret for those leeks may I ask? I have had to buy them in as plants for the last two years as I did not manage to succeed with the seedlings.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 16:50:28 »
What is your secret for those leeks may I ask?

Its no secret as such but I think variety and timing is the most important aspect of growing them, I think you can sow and plant them out too early at least thats what I find up here on the top of the Pennines.

Over the last couple of years I have been looking for a variety to replace my tried and trusted variety "Musselburgh"

Last season (2012) I bought some seedlings from the NVS stall at Harrogate Spring Show (Late April 2012) and these were a variety named " Oarsman"

The thing I noticed most about them was the way they were grown which was different from how I grew Leeks and that was they had been sown into 5" pots.

Now that may have been down to they wanted batches to sell to the public at the show.

When I got them home I considered planting them out then but changed my mind and pricked them out into individual 3" pots and placed them in the cold frame, until the 6th June when I planted them out!

The results were good so I bought some seeds to grow entirely by myself!

I also bought three other varieties for comparison and these were Musselburgh,Electra and Elefant.

I sowed all four varieties on the 2nd March and allowed them to grow until the 6th May and left them to grow on until I planted them out on the 27th May.

My feeling is that it is better to grow them on individually for a while rather than dibble them at pencil thickness into the sopil as most people do!

This is how they looked on the 25th September;( Oarsman is in the foreground) then Elefant, Musselburgh & Electra.

At harvest time I found that Oarsman was the earliest in maturity and I am not sure if they would survive the winter months like Musselburgh do so I harvested them.

I would have liked to have left a few throughout the winter to find out how the would stand up but couldn't as they were growing in the plot I was vacating.

Electra (the type shown in my blog) was the next best (in my opinion) and I still have a half dozen or so still in the ground which I will remove this weekend.

Elefant looked like over grown spring onions as they were 'bulbous' at their base as opposed to cylindrical as most leeks are.

So I guess I fell in to the trap that the word "Elfant" sounded as if they were going to grow very large when in fact they only comparison to an Elephant was the "club foot"

But I will be growing them again in 2014.

Musselburgh was just Musselburgh very hardy even in the worst of weathers so I will still grow a few as back up and for Feb / March cropping.

And that is all there was to it¬

Tg

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 14:45:48 »
Interesting ! Shame though as I have no cold frame or a place where I can grow them in pots in the cool. I do think however that they like being messed around with! Maybe a substitute would be to sow in clumps, when they are a few inches hight, tease out the clumps and replant and then leave them to get bigger before replanting in final location???

Once again with my seeds I got free onion seeds - ailsa craig. i have NEVER been able to get onions going from seed- pity they didn't give me free leeks! Still I will have a go at them, maybe I will try in a big tub on the window box, with some plastic over them? You are lucky to have a cold frame, I am envious.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 16:34:31 »
Can you not find space to make a cold frame Antipodes?  Wouldn't have to be very big but I guess it would soon get full once you had one?    You can make one easily by piling up some old bricks orscrewing together some wood for sides and topping with a sheet of clear plastic or an old window.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 19:22:58 »
Sorry to hear that :(

This is what my coldframe looks like;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Coldframe/Coldframe.htm

As Qbelix mentioned it doesn't have to be a major construction job as you can see with my arrangement using fleece over a frame!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal