Author Topic: Vitopod propagator help  (Read 7333 times)

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
Vitopod propagator help
« on: December 31, 2013, 14:59:22 »
Does anyone use a Vitopod propagator ?

I had one of these for Christmas and instructions for use of the thermostat are poor. The thermostat has the probe which is put into the propagator and then two other wires leading from it one with plug on and one with a socket. The propagator also has a plug which I have plugged into the mains. I am not too sure what to do with the plug and socket from the thermostat- at present have put the plug into the mains and have not put anything into socket- the thermostat appears to be working. Is this correct and what is the socket for.

Have looked on web site and you tube and cannot find any information regarding this

Thank you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Vitopod propagator help
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 16:37:11 »
Try this link:
http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/propagators/vitopod-heated-propagators.html?gclid=CJ-D3YXy2rsCFTDMtAodTyEAxQ
I notice there is a "Any questions" link upon the page which is hosted by the manufacturer.
Good luck
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 16:49:11 »
My Vitopod is a few years old and looking on their site I think they have updated the thermostat as the shape of it is different. The thermostat I have is wired directly into the propagator base unit. Also leading from the thermostat is a thin lead with the heat sensor attached and also a lead with plug attached to plug into the wall socket. I don't have any other sockets or plugs.

Does the socket on your thermostat plug into the propagator base unit somewhere? I'm not sure why you have 2 plugs, hopefully someone with a newer type will come along  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 17:47:36 »
Don't have one, (I wish), but just going by what you have said, I would plug the thermostat into the mains, and then plug the propagator into the socket that comes from the thermostat.

As you have it at the moment, both plugged into the mains, it will look like it works, but there would be no control, and the propagator will just heat to it's maximum.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 17:50:34 by Chrispy »
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 19:48:31 »
I also have one of the older sort, from the website it just looks like they have changed to a fancier digital thermometer. The little probe is the key to the thermostat, as long as it is inside the propagator the unit will work: my unit has a little groove in the plastic on the right hand side where the probe wire goes in, I usually put it on top of soil in a pot. I guess they have just put a separate plug on the thermostat for some reason: it will make it easier to store I suppose. Set the temperature on the thermostat and the unit will heat up guided by the temperature the probe is detecting. They are great units and I find mine germinates seeds much quicker than my old unregulated propagator.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 20:23:09 »
Thank you for your replies

Jayb there is no socket on propagator base.

Chrispy- On reflection your suggestion of plugging thermostat into mains and propagator into thermostat seems sensible option

ancellsfarmer- I have e-mailed the company via your link and asked for advice- awaiting a reply

If anyone reading this has a newer version of thermostat and knows the answer please reply- if I hear from the company will let you all know

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 22:28:54 »
Instructions are on their website, by the look of it, here: http://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/help-and-support/instructions/

The more modern one suggests: "Connect the plug that comes directly from the Vitopod base to the socket on
the thermostat. Connect the plug from the thermostat into your mains socket.
• Feed the temperature sensor wire through one of the vents. Place the
temperature sensor in the Vitopod at least 1 inch (2.5 cms) from the side of
the Vitopod. For best results your temperature sensor should be 1/2 inch
above the base."

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 22:28:47 »
Thank you Melbourne 12.

These instructions were not sent out with the Vitapod I received. This makes it much clearer

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal