Author Topic: Skirret? Sium sisarum?  (Read 5112 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
Skirret? Sium sisarum?
« on: January 03, 2014, 19:03:06 »
I am trying to fill certain areas of my allotments with perennial plants, and so far have asparagus, horseradish, scorzonera, all the usual fruits, artichokes of both families, sorrel, and possibly other things I should list that I forget.

Have come across mention of skirret, which sounds like a useful, attractive and trouble free root like scorzonera, to be dug up from time to time in the winter. Has anyone grown it? Have found a source of seeds at  http://www.pennardplants.com/search.php?pg=1&stext=skirret&sprice=&stype=&scat=    Seeds post free.

Is it worth the effort? I do have a patch of scorzonera which I attack from time to time to get long thick black roots, replanting the top to grow more of them, and I read that skirret behaves the same way.

By the way, I have at last some wonderful big fat roots from my horseradish that I have peeled and chopped, liquidised in a little water and added vinegar to (supposed to set the heat level) and put into creme fraiche, and am becoming addicted to it. Add it to everything. Mashed potato, soup, everything.

digmore

• Half Acre
Re: Skirret? Sium sisarum?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 19:27:09 »
It is shown being dug up on the dvd, The Victorian Garden or on the utube of the same. Said to be not worth the effort.

Digmore  :wave:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 21:25:34 »
I have some seeds, unopened packet, but haven't sown them for about four years so may not be viable I always seem to forget them in the September/October window...  :BangHead:

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 12:28:45 »
Coincidentally, I've just posted about it.
http://oca-testbed.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/skirretgrowing-selecting-and-eating.html
I think they are worth growing, as they are so little trouble and taste good. It's best to deselect any poor plants after the first growing season, as seed-grown plants are highly variable.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 20:41:36 »
Wasn't it the emperor Tiberius's favourite veg?

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 21:14:32 »
Yes, allegedly. He is said to have demanded it as tribute from the Germanic tribes.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 01:00:36 »
They are worth it - they are deliciously sweet and tasty - but there are various disadvantages.

Most important is that the most-bred most desirable strains seem to have disappeared - old sources describe much more substantial roots than are seen today.

They simply seem to have been neglected and it's likely the easiest-to-grow-and-self-seed kinds have outpaced the big-roots-slow-to-bolt that we want to eat.

Until someone devotes a decade or three to improving them... that leaves us with the problems we have now:

a) One-year roots are rather small,
b) two-year roots are just usable (but flowering leaves them with a string down the root),
c) and older roots invariably fork wildly...

Unless someone has done some serious selection since I tried them. Maybe better strains will emerge from eastern Europe? Someone should go plant-hunting!

It may be possible to force-feed them, but that takes them out of their place in the rotation and puts them in competition with gross feeders (nobody actually grows them for food as a perennial - though they can be split and replanted).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 13:51:07 »
Interesting, thanks. I was thinking of putting them in a bed with my horseradish and scorzonera and just leaving them all there together to be dug up occasionally. Are you saying that older, wildly forking plants are not worth eating? Tough and stringy as well as misshapen?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 14:16:07 »
It sounds like a case of ruthless selection. Lift them every year, throw out all the smaller roots, save seed and start new generations, add more strains if you can get the seed, and see where you end up.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 17:05:12 »
Interesting, thanks. I was thinking of putting them in a bed with my horseradish and scorzonera and just leaving them all there together to be dug up occasionally. Are you saying that older, wildly forking plants are not worth eating? Tough and stringy as well as misshapen?

Most importantly more forks means more difficult cleaning.

Old roots will have more holes from pest attack - more difficult cleaning.

There will be a string in every root - that's why they are best as mash (very good as potato/skirret mix).

As Robert_Brenchley says, try and improve your own stock while you wait hoping for someone to do a more professional job that might be quicker.

NB. the seeds don't keep that well - possibly better than parsnips but it's still worth keeping some in the freezer.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 18:56:02 »
I would just add that they need moist soil all year. I think actually that dry periods are the reason for the woody cores to the roots. Their wild relative are found in marshes.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal