Author Topic: When to plant seed onions  (Read 1505 times)

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
When to plant seed onions
« on: December 09, 2013, 18:28:54 »
We are going to try seed onions this coming season and wondered when people think its the best time to put the seeds in small modules?

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: When to plant seed onions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 19:38:11 »
I do seed and sets.. Seed I scatter sow early Jan into large trays and heated propagator till they are a couple of inches high. Then just open in the conservatory then into the greenhouse about mid-end Feb'ish and leave till they are at least 2-3mm  in diameter before planting out in Spring - normally mid March'ish. My early sets I plant into modules in mid Feb and plant out mid March when i also plant the rest of the sets as a normal main crop.

You can also do individual modules with 2-4 seeds each in Jan/Feb then just leave the strongest one after they are about 4" high. Then plant out in March.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

marcofez

• Not So New ...
Re: When to plant seed onions
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 21:01:50 »
You can do as gavinconway does or sow on Boxing day 26th Dec. This date is a good starting point for lots of onion seed growers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal