Author Topic: Well-rotted leaves - best use on the allotment.  (Read 1888 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Well-rotted leaves - best use on the allotment.
« on: December 01, 2013, 19:08:07 »
I've got some bags of well-rotted leaves - are they best used on well-established raspberry canes, spread around just-appearing onions, spread over just-sown garlic, put at the base of my 2-year old apple tree, or dug in to those empty beds waiting for next spring's seeds?

Many thanks for all the responses.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: Well-rotted leaves - best use on the allotment.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 19:14:17 »
Hi newspud - leaf mold is basically a soil enhancer. It has very little to no goodness as the leaves were sucked dry before falling off. It's good to add to soils to enrich with organic matter to condition it a bit especially in clay soil, or used just as a mulch.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 21:29:18 »
Despite the lack of food value in dead leaves, for some reason raspberries seem to like them, also when applied as a thick mulch the dead leaves stop weeds getting into the canes. I hate weeding raspberries and they are tricky to hoe.
I would not recommend putting dead leaves under an apple tree because dead leaves is one of the sources of fungal scab spores in the spring, unless of course your apple is of a variety immune to scab.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 21:59:58 »
I find that leaves do seem to attract worms.   So for all your uses I would say yes.  They are good as a soil enhancer and I think they make an excellent mulch.

My soil sets like concrete when it is dry and areas treated with leaf mould  and other bio matter are so much improved.   

Runner beans also seem to like leaf mould.  I think it helps to keep the soil cool and moist for their roots.

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 01:24:39 »
Never thought of using leaf mould under rasp canes, sounds good to try. As well as mentioned uses, I use it to make up home made potting compost, a little leaf mould keeps the mix from compacting and seems to encourage good roots. Used it for my Dhalias in pots this year with excellent results. For any areas of heavy clay soil, leaf mould helps to break it up really quickly. Wonderful stuff.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 17:15:39 »
Thanks for all the helpful responses. Much appreciated.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal