Author Topic: Campervan for veg storage?  (Read 1571 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Campervan for veg storage?
« on: November 18, 2013, 17:43:31 »
We went away in our van this weekend and I found a bag of new potatoes (not homegrown- sorry!) which must have been there since we were last away at the end of September. They were in a cupboard and were in perfect condition. It made me think, maybe I should store my veg in there while we are not using it over the winter? It's a modern van, fully lined, so do you think it will be frost free?

pumkinlover

Re: Campervan for veg storage?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 17:56:21 »
I would worry about condensation or moisture release FROM the veg affecting a lovely new campervan to be honest!
I have also had wood spoilt when one of my squashes has deteriorated. They look ok for a longtime after they have started to go rotten so unless checking all the time it could happen.
Sorry to be a kill-joy!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 17:58:04 by pumpkinlover »

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 19:05:45 »
good thinking but depends what you are storing and what you're other options are- i wouldn't judge it just on that bag of shop potatoes- agree with the poster above about possible dampness mould etc.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 19:12:18 »
Thanks. I was thinking about squash/pumpkins as most of them are on windowsills at the moment and I think they may get too warm. The only other alternative is my allotment shed but I've had them go mushy there due to the cold.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 19:44:05 »
I just leave my squash/pumpkins etc on the bedroom windowsill - there's a radiator underneath and they seem to last okay.  The ordinary ones seem to last till about Feb/March time and the sharks fin forever.  You could before they start to turn squishy cook them and store in freezer.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal