Author Topic: A Plea  (Read 4237 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
A Plea
« on: March 15, 2005, 19:21:34 »
I do wish posters would reduce the size of their pictures. Those of us with narrowband connections and older slower machines really do suffer. PLEASE!!!!!!!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Yellow Petals

Re: A Plea
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 21:08:12 »
I agree.  Even being cable connected at a very fast speed, I still find it a tad annoying that some pictures are coming up huge.  Big isn't always beautiful, if the picture is good enough it will look ok big or SMALL(er)

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 21:21:43 »
I hope I'm causing no problems with the size of my images. I try and restrict the file size to 90KB max, allowing for dial up connections to download the image as quick as possible.
If it is causing problems for some people, then no problems will make the images a lot smaller in visual dimensions. Yes big is not always better, by making the image as big as they have been I have had to remove the quality anyway. So for the next few postings will make images smaller.
Once again sorry for any inconvenience caused. ;)

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 22:15:50 »
As a follow up from my earlier comments I think it would be better in future to post images in the following format. The large images on my other thread have been reduced so I hope this makes it easier for everyone to download the image.
 ;)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 22:44:11 »
Disagree...looks crap >:(

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 22:58:55 »
Eric, I think it would be a good idea to name names, as I am sure the offenders won't mind, that includes me if I am an offender.

The problem is, people that are not computer literate (that includes me again) think they are doing well to be able to post a picture when it pops up in a flash (being on broadband), it is not easy to comprehend when being asked to reduce images, pixels and DPI (dots per square inch) it’s just gobbledygook to most. (Me included again)

I understand the frustration as this site can be so slooooow most times for me, but I can put up with it or move on.

As Tim said in another thread “you get what you pay for” ::)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 23:16:24 »
Oh Roy, I don't agree, I don't mind that look at all.  I try to keep my pics small, but know I forget sometimes.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 23:48:49 »
Sorry Emma detail lost, look at that centre picture of (guessing) crocosia...no comparison.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 00:08:06 »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 07:27:44 »
Dear Roy - as you know from 2 other threads, I agree with Eric. And as to literacy, there has been enough written on the board to get even me trained. Something of a miracle! And, as has been said so often, if it doesn't come out right first time, modify or delete & try, try again.

I do agree that the larger photos are stunning but, if we all did it, some of us would never reach the bottom of the page. And remember, as I've said before, we can't add a comment of our own until the whole page has downloaded.

I know I've said this before too - if you really want to publish a stunner, post its URL.  (Don't ask me what that stands for!!) That applies to text as well as photos.

Be gruntled?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 07:30:58 by tim »

Mothy

• Hectare
  • My 4th season on my Lottie in Leicestershire.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 08:36:29 »
Tim/Eric,

Just out of interest, what is the largest size that can be realistically viewed on narrowband? Although we now have BBand I only too well remember the frustration caused by an almost static download when viewing the web. As I do post piccies occasionally I would wish them to be painless for others to view.

:)

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 10:12:59 »
To be quite honest I have reached the stage where I no longer even bother trying to look a the pictures posted by some members, it is just too slow for words. And if you think that the images are less good for being small, then do as you think fit.  BUT this is a site for GARDENING not photographs.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 10:59:47 »
Without knowing any better, I aim at a max of 300.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 11:09:44 »
The maximum size for ease of viewing and quality of photograph and speed of downloading is (for me) 600 pixels by 450.
eg.

Or perhaps you feel that the quality of the image is too much reduced!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 11:19:06 by Palustris »

Mothy

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 11:14:12 »
Thanks Tim & Eric ,

I for one will make sure any pics of mine are within these boundaries. Up to now I have gone for 700 x 700 which seems to give a file size of less than 100kb but will aim for lower.

Whats the point of posting photos if others are unable to view them easily.

:)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 13:02:08 »
I agree Mothy, and Eric, a gorgeous photo!  ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 13:15:23 »
Thing is - I seldom have anything of that quality to show. However, I shall remember that, when I do I can, without boasting, double my size. No - not busting.

Mothy

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 17:23:39 »
Tim  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Eric, that is a lovely photo and no, the quality of the image is crystal clear to my eye  :)

Dirkdigger

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 15:37:16 »
Hi everyone, sorry to cause so much unrest in the forum. Eric I think you misinterpreted my earlier comments or I didn't explain very well. As to the loss of quality of the image I meant by posting the images so big at such a low quality MY IMAGES  probably wouldn't be looking there best anyway, nothing to do with the fact that smaller images cant hold you in awe because of the size. I was trying to push the boundaries as to the size of the image I could post and still keep the size of the file reasonable in physical size( less than 100KB).
I can only apologise for doing this and in future will limit the images to 600pixels
on the longest edge.
Once again I'm really sorry if anyone has been offended by my postings.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2005, 23:22:32 »
Dirk don't fret lad  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal