Author Topic: Weed Guard  (Read 2257 times)

Aidy

• Not So New ...
Weed Guard
« on: March 15, 2005, 13:53:06 »
I have now had my plot for two seasons now and it was left fallow for 4 years so you can imagine how much work has gone into it if the old wives tale of one years seed = sevens years weed, so with this in mind I have with great success grown my courgettes under black plastic, the rest of the plot is an ongoing battle with the weeds so I am thinking this season I will grow beans, peas, corn or anything that grows above ground under weed guard. has anyone else here used this method before? Was there problems with slugs lying in wait?
Any thoughts would be usefull
Regards
Aidy

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Weed Guard
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 15:15:37 »
I'm going to do it rather than dig.  I'm told it works (see posts on this forum) but one of the probs apparently is mice eating your spuds ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 17:40:21 »
I didn't use the plastic, just the cardboard & poo, maybe the plastic will keep the mice out. Or maybe it will be even cosier :)

As for slugs -don't they congregate under plastic, wet paper &c? You could try watering with coffee a bit before you plant to deter them.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 18:15:49 »
Please - what is Weedguard??

1=7? I think ours has been seeded for 100 years. Nil desperandum.

("There is no cause for despair!")

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 22:31:06 »
I expect weed guard is sheet mulch. 

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 22:33:44 »
Derbex   I've got my coffee organised.  I've been saving left over coffee and the grounds.  So I'll report back later when I've planted something for the slugs to have a nibble at.  I;ve only got onion in at the mo and I don't think they like them

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 13:44:12 »
Those who have not come across this before it is a fabric mulch, it allows air and water to get through but hardly any light and stops those pesky weeds growing so it is a kind of lazy mans gardening aid, as I have a little baby and a demanding 8 year old my time on the plot has been reduced, so much so my Leeks were wiped out by weeds last year so I thought this is a good way of growing my crop. I have a sandy soil that weeds seem to love, so the other plus to using this is it should keep the ground a little more moist. Thank you to those who replied an I have taken the step of going and buying 25 meters of it.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 13:48:59 »
Welcome Aidy, hope that your kiddies don't make you too busy to come on here lots  :D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 15:26:37 »
I do this bit at work ;)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 15:32:28 by Aidy »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal