Author Topic: major works this week  (Read 1728 times)

ACE

• Hectare
major works this week
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:58:45 »
Now I have more time to do my own garden, it is going to be a complete revamp. First the orchard, there are trees that have never produced anything worthwhile and a couple are leaning after last weeks blow. So out they come and a couple of nice plums to go back in. A bit of levelling as well and a Henge that I thought would be good fun is also coming out. The wooden structure is past it now. The bigger trees are now strong enough to support a hammock which was carefully measured when they were first planted.

Next in line to come out is a metal pergola that leads from the house to the parking area. We are getting fed up with getting soaking wet from all the foliage hanging down. The old rambling roses always snag you somehow and they are going. The whole area will now be levelled and 5 ton of chippings rolled in and spread to make it easier to turn the vehicles around and park the caravan. The poor old roses really needed a lot more room. Didn't give it that much thought when I planted the little twigs 10 years ago. I was going to grub out the hedge surrounding the property and fence it all with a feather board fence. But after seeing everybodies fence panels scattered around last week I think I will just get the hedge to a manageable size. Then there is the postmans trap to see to. It is a very large date palm that was also a little pot plant when it went in but is now towering 20' high and the fronds hang down and get the postie. They are very prickly. I shall raise the head by cutting all the lower ones out they are about 8' long and cover the front path. All going to be done by hand as I need to get some exercise. Plus a digger makes so much mess, it is no quicker once you have cleaned everything up. Hopefully all the shrubs will take again after their move. I did prune them really hard back in the summer, so the shock should not be that bad If I can get a big enough root ball.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: major works this week
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 17:48:43 »
Nice to hear you are having a nice relaxing time in your retirement. :toothy10:

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 17:58:41 »
Perhaps when you've finished those little jobs................ ok I'll do it myself!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 12:24:51 »
Sounds as though you are going to be busy ACE. 

My OH says that since he retired, he gets less done in the garden and house than he did when he was working! 

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 14:49:22 »
Gosh and I am fretting over moving a few raspberries! Sounds like a hell of a job there, man!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 15:24:45 »
Well it looks a hell of a mess now, piles of branches and foliage, a mounds of junk, piles of soil everywhere. I could just theme it now with the addition of a rusty old Cortina and a rotten mattress.
Seem to be dodging a lot of showers which is slowing me down a bit, and don't the light go quick. I suppose I could get away with a big bonfire tonight being as it's Guy Fawkes night but the rain might just put the mockers on that.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 17:05:42 »
Is your date palm "canariensis" or "dactylifera"? I ask because of the seedlings I found in my kitchen compost, which I have assumed cannot live out doors. Yours clearly does so must be canariensis but I would like to know for sure - thanks.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 17:57:12 »
Phoenix canariensis. It lives outside alright but I get up and put a rope around it, then pull all the old seasoned leaves together  as soon as it gets too cold. One year I missed it and the middle got caught by a long cold period. It came back again in the spring. Usually makes about ten long leaves a year. It was one of those pot plants that B&Q put on the 'dead' trolley, cost me 50p. I nurtured it in the poly tunnel for the winter, then as kept getting in the way I chucked it in the ground to take it's chances. I also have a chusan palm that is in a sheltered part of the garden as the fans get damaged by the wind. That is only about 5' tall and I shouldn't think it will get much higher as the large leaves flop over with the weight. It  has got a 10' spread though. I just leave that one to its own devices in all weathers.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 18:48:48 »
OK, bad news, but thanks. Sort of hoped someone was keeping dactylifera outside. Better get mine in soon, but not sure about its long term chances. (Obviously my seedlings are "free", given that I ate the dates and threw the seeds into the compost pan under the sink about 11 months ago).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal