Author Topic: Compost "chimneys"  (Read 4024 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Compost "chimneys"
« on: October 30, 2013, 22:34:03 »
I'm dreaming this year of making more more more compost. I have three piles going so far. A google reminder is popping up to remind me to turn them. A Google Alert for composting articles also energizes me to be kind to my compost piles by aerating them. One article mentioned making "chimneys" to get air into the pile centers by hammering posts into the ground first, then dump the plant residues in around the posts, and lastly pull out the posts which leaves channels for air to flow and keep the bacteria happily multiplying. It seems to help. You can feel the heat pouring out of those chimneys already. Now the piles are loosely covered to help keep some of that heat in for winter. I know it's silly but these piles make me extraordinarily happy  :blob7: :icon_cheers:
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Compost "chimneys"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 06:58:19 »
You are not alone.

A few weeks ago, I got talking to a cpmplete stranger about gardening and he told me that he'd won a prize at the last village show for his composting.

And I was really impressed.  How sad is that?

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 07:53:59 »
Be happy at being sad!! :icon_cheers:
I wish I had the time and energy to turn compost heaps. Mine have to just sit and slowly decompose, but your suggestion sounds a lot easier so might give it a whirl!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 08:30:40 »
I also saw one where a plastic pipe with holes in it was left in the middle.  I was rather worried it would cool it down.   I am hopeless with compost, certainly never turn it, it is rather difficult with dareks.  But I do try and prod holes into it. 

Compost is not sad, what saddens me is people taking their weeds home and sending them off in their green bins.  The strawberries that I grew on the buried remains of Brussels Sprout stems were great.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 08:35:53 »
My workmates were laughing at me for taking my (windfall) apple peel home for the compost rather than binning it!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 09:40:43 »
I am hopeless with compost, certainly never turn it, it is rather difficult with dareks.  But I do try and prod holes into it.

The easiest way to turn compost in daleks is take said dalek off heap, plonk it down nearby and then put the original compost back in bin.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:45:10 »
 just recently emptied my dalek in my north facing front garden I stopped filling it in May of this year and only poked around the top layers with a fork a couple of times forward to October and here is my 80L bin of lovely compost which is the envy of my gardening friends.
I have another dalek in the back garden which is now full and has been put to bed (left with the lid on)I haven't poked this one at all and we shall see if it makes a difference next spring.

I never fail to marvel at how vegetable waste tea and coffee grinds, egg boxes cellulose packaging garden cuttings two Halloween carved pumpkins an odd trug of privet cuttings can make compost.

My next door neighbour calls me swampy- I can live with that.

Nora

Norf London

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 19:05:17 »

"I know it's silly but these piles make me extraordinarily happy "

I wish mine did!!!!!!!
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 21:44:07 »
I grew cougettes in my compost bin this year.Best ever courgettes and compost was transformed into a lovely crumbly texture. Lots of bugs in it but they didn't harmthe cougettes.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 10:37:36 »
Brilliant quote

"Everything that lives dies; everything that dies rots; it all leads back to compost."
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 10:45:32 »
I have recently emptied my kitchen compost bin, a giant that lives in a dark alley and is totally neglected, apart from occasionally throwing worms into it. I put only kitchen waste (wrapped in newspaper) into it, so it gets slimy and full of flies and slugs etc etc.....but I marvel year after year, like Nora, that this unpromising and smelly stuff turns into the crumbly black sweet smelling compost full of lively worms that I bag up for my allotment (where I have several more daleks filled with weeds etc).

This time I found some germinating date seeds from last Christmas growing in it.....they are now potted up for fun.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 20:43:25 »
For chimneys for free, pop  into your local carpet shop and cadge a carpet  roll centre . 12 foot long cardboard tube. Saw into 3 x4ft lengths, maybe drill some holes. Put into bin as you start a heap. Job done.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 09:13:40 »
Yes I am fundamental about making compost; I turn all my compost daleks each time I go to the lottie; and I have made 31 day compost at our community gardens...this was made from cardboard, paper due to be recycled and loads of weed mostly docks...

http://www.grogarden.org.uk/summer-2013---hot-composting.html

I am doing a hot compost workshop for two groups at college this week [come rain or shine] and have spent all my free time tearing up and cutting up paper and cardboard to make the browns...and we will go and collect the greens and make a cubic metre and turn it every time we are in the garden.

Love composting!  :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :tongue3:

I might add a chimney to my first dalek today as I have a spare tube with holes already drilled in it...

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 11:21:52 »
I think I might be turning into a compost compulsive too Grannie!

I turn my dalek by stirring with my pitchfork, not easy, but I figure it helps with the bingo wings.  :toothy10:

I don't seem to be able to fill it though. It's had 5 barrows of manure, all my ex-plants bar the sweetcorn (all chopped by hand because I am that finnicky!) and 5 big bags of shredded soaked bank statements. And each time I go to turn it, it's sunk by about a third.

When, oh when will it be full?!! I want to stick a squash in it next year...

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 14:52:27 »
sparrow,
'never' I would say. Been filling mine for 12 months and it's now only half full. At least that indicates - good heat and the shredded paper
keeps it 'sweet'.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal