Author Topic: Running out of windowsills?  (Read 6165 times)

Marianne

• Hectare
Re: Running out of windowsills?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 22:23:37 »
 ::) ;D :o
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 11:06:25 »
I take it you've got physalis edulis? I got mine from Suttons and according to the packet, they grow to - gulp! - up to 6 feet! It also says "One plant per grow bag". I look forward to harvest time - triffid and custard, anyone?!

Yikes!  I've just checked the packet and mine are Physalis peruviana.  A quick Google reveals they grow up to 2' which is a relief, I can tell you!

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 12:25:43 »
I planted 3 cape gooseberry seeds last year, grew to about 2ft. unfortunately even though I covered them in winter only one has survived :-[ and is showing new growth now. Lots of fruit on them last year but weather deteriorated before they ripened. I'm hoping for better things this year!  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2005, 14:09:22 »
Hi Ani.  Well, it's nice to know you at least managed to get them to fruit, even if you didn't get to eat any.  Good luck this year.

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2005, 00:20:18 »
I'll second that - best of luck.
Yes, the emptying of the celestial bathtub last July severely reduced my "crops" too (peppers, aubs, etc.). Tons of lush foliage, smaller harvest, took forever to ripen.
Physalis peruviana, huh? That's a new one on me. I've got edulis and ixocarpa (a purple variety) and... oh, blimey, I've just noticed  - these are five footers plus as well! Help! RECIPES PLEEEEEASE!!!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2005, 15:16:16 »
<Physalis peruviana, huh? That's a new one on me.>

I kid you not - this is not one of your 'coupla quiddus' gags!!!

PM me with your addy if you want some - I've got spare seed.

G xx

Deleted

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2005, 16:25:11 »
Physallis - grrr! It's not the height of mine that was the problem (about 2-3'), but the spread. Had one in the garden (and still do... at the moment) and at the end of the year it died down. Then the next year, it came up and had spread all over the show, with roots absolute hell to get out. Popped up all over the place. Will have to tackle it in earnest this year.
Dawn

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal