Author Topic: Alternatives to build-a-balls?  (Read 5020 times)

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
Alternatives to build-a-balls?
« on: October 18, 2013, 08:09:06 »
OH and I spent over an hour the other day trying to erect a low modest cage using build-a-balls (sometimes called hortiballs) to connect pieces of aluminium tubing.

While I am probably a poor workman (as the saying goes) these balls are fairly useless in my humble opinion. I have little faith that the cage will stay in one piece.

Anybody used anything more reliable?

Thanks.

Brian

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Alternatives to build-a-balls?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:18:45 »
What are you going to be growing in it/trying to keep out?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 08:27:05 »
Initially it is to keep birds off autumn-planted garlic.

Longer term it will act as a strawberry cage.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:25 »
Ray uses tennis balls  :toothy10:

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:45:01 »
In August my OH and I visited a garden in Cornwall where they grew fruit and vegetables as well as flower and shrub borders.  The garden was inspirational and we picked up many ideas that we are now going to use in our own garden.   Among them was the way they protected their soft fruit from the birds.  They had hand made cages approximately 8ft by 4ft which were tall enough to cover the soft fruit bushes.  Made of wood and chicken wire, they had handles either end made of rope so they could be easily removed from the bushes in seconds, by two people.  They were sturdy enough to last several years.

In the past we have used the build a ball method, covering the bushes with soft netting.  The disadvantages are many.  They are difficult to erect, not easy to get into the fruit for picking and birds and new growth can get entangled in the netting.  This year we didn't cover our gooseberries at all and the birds had all the fruit. 

By next year we hope to have several of these cages made.  I think my OH took some photos of the ones in the gardens, so when he starts his computer, I will put a picture on here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal