Author Topic: Newspaper pots - not growing well  (Read 5229 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Newspaper pots - not growing well
« on: March 14, 2005, 21:53:09 »
I made some pots from newspaper to grow my seeds in but have also used some old plastic pots. I have noticed that the seedlings in the newspaper pots are a lot (dramatically so) smaller than the seedlings in the plastic pots. Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if the ink on the newspaper has some sort of growth inhibiting effect on the plants or could it be something else.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

TULIP-23

• Hectare
Re: Newspaper pots - not growing well
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 22:03:56 »
Jesseveve :)

Ive just started with Gardening....and bought to start my peas off those Little Compressed Cardboard Cups
I found that the Stayed too wet in the Propagator and the Peas have a root but very very soft!!
Throw most away but kept a few just in case!!
Ive just replanted the Peas in another Propagator with a Mixture of 50%sand and 50% compost. Hoping for Better results.

How long Normally is the Germination Period for Peas Outdoors!!
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 22:21:56 »
Jesseveve :)How long Normally is the Germination Period for Peas Outdoors!!

T-23, don't know, I always germinate my peas indoors first otherwise the slugs get them. Mine took 5 days at about 18C daytime, cold at night. Outdoors would take longer, depends how cold it is I guess.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 07:20:11 »
Jesse - despite what Tulip says, could it be that the paper dries out more quickly than the others?

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 10:21:40 »
Tim you might be right, I was thinking that the newspaper is more permeable than plastic and perhaps too much moisture is being evaporated through the walls of the pots. I have been needing to water them more often than the others as they dry out a lot quicker. But I have been keeping them moist but not waterlogged. They just look very stunted, and this has happened with melon, squash/pumpkin, peppers, tomatoes and chilli. Only thing that seemed to grow really well in them was the sweetpeas.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 10:39:39 »
Just an idea (Don't have that much experience), could it be something about the width of the pots? My newspaper pots are longer and narrower, and don't peas and beans have long roots? Do all those other things have shallower roots that spread out to the side? Could that be contributing to the problem?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 10:40:10 »
I use newspaper pots and lengths of cut up plastic piping. The piping ones are best suited to plants that throw a long rather than a wide root. Sweetpeas is an example. I grew my sweetcorn seeds in them last year, did very well.
Most other things I use newspaper pots. The fact that yours don't seem to be as strong is probably down to the roots still growing to fill the pot. Make smaller pots or wait a bit longer before repotting. Most home made paper pots are quite wide.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 13:21:36 »
My children have bought me a paper pot maker....and I have just found this post....is the consensus then to use for long rooted items but not tomatoes or chillis?
Jackie

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 14:00:10 »
some newspaper has a chemical to stop mould and print hold to stop it coming off on your hands  myself i would not use them  but hey each to their own  i like wilcos square plastic pots 2" 15 for 75p 4" 12 for 75p fantastic value in my book
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 19:59:24 »
some newspaper has a chemical to stop mould and print hold to stop it coming off on your hands  myself i would not use them  but hey each to their own  i like wilcos square plastic pots 2" 15 for 75p 4" 12 for 75p fantastic value in my book
Just had a look @
 http://www.wilko.com/plants-seeds+bulbs/seed-trays/icat/seed-trays-plant-pots#esp_pg=2
and can see what you mean. Do they survive for more than 1 season?
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 00:17:55 »
I've made pots out of newspaper for about ten years and had good results. I use them for large seeds - beans and peas - only. You do need to be careful with the watering as they can get too wet or too dry. The compost has a role in that too.

I get 18 paper pots in a tray that would hold 10 - 12 plastic pots, so I welcome the space saving. There is no root disturbance on planting out, though there is very little from a plastic pot either.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 06:50:26 »
. Do they survive for more than 1 season?

Mine have done, ancellsfarmer.  I have several in use that are 3 years old.  If you pick them up by the rim, they can split, but if you pick them up like a beaker (hope this makes sense), they last a long time.  :wave: 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 07:17:06 »
The news is just sometimes too shocking?

They are also mostly sprayed with a fire retardant.  It is difficult lighting bonfires nowadays.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 11:38:55 »
Thanks all....will stick to peas/ beans then....I was hoping ok with Toms and Chillis.

I am trying to cut diwn my plastic use :)
Jackie

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 15:25:21 »
Couple of  points. First I use the cardboard pots from the Pound Shop  to directly set my sweetcorn in as they do not like root disturbance and also to pot on all my clubroot resistant brassicas  once they have grown a bit. This gives them a substantial root before I take them to the allotment. I always cut the bottom off the cardboard pots before I put them into their final spot. They do dry out a bit in the cardboard pots but I seem to have almost 100% success using this method.
As regard peas I always chit mine on damp kitchen towel because if I did not then the mice would have them. The mice do not seem to bother them once they are chitted. Another advantage is that they are through in a less than a fortnight using this method

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2017, 17:49:24 »
Just had a look @
 http://www.wilko.com/plants-seeds+bulbs/seed-trays/icat/seed-trays-plant-pots#esp_pg=2
and can see what you mean. Do they survive for more than 1 season?
i have had mine 2 seasons now had around 300 however have misplaced them or they have been stolen so bought some more this year i think the old ones would have been good for another couple of seasons
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2017, 19:37:04 »
Thanks Johnny,
Oh ,the 'witches of Manton wood' will be pleased...
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

mormor

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2017, 17:44:06 »
Last year I planted out broad beans in newspaper pots and birds pulled them up! Maybe I should have taken them out of the newspaper!
near Copenhagen, Denmark

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 17:49:53 »
I use toilet rolls for my parsnip and carrots seeds I plant 3 to each tube and then thin them out to leave just one they seem to rot into the soil by the end of the season
Barnsley S Yorks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal