Author Topic: spuds won't chit!  (Read 3467 times)

hanraaa

• Not So New ...
spuds won't chit!
« on: March 03, 2005, 13:48:48 »
hmmmm having a bit of chitting trouble, firstly I'm struggling to find anywhere to chit!!!!

I own a pretty small house but keep a lodger in the only sunny bright room, window sills are full of seed trays and every work top is in use.

I have had my seed potatoes spread out on the floor under the kitchen table and although warm its not too bright. Will this work in the long run cos so far Ive seen no results?
Hanraaaaaaa

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re: spuds won't chit!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 13:55:38 »
I do mine in an outside garage, in the light. I think yours should go -but as soon as they start you need to get them into some light or the sprouts will get too long and delicate.

Jeremy

Macca

• Quarter Acre
  • Fork it!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 15:22:02 »
Sounds like that should work. I bought my seed potatoes a month back, proceeded to forget about them by leaving them in a paper bag ontop of my hifi (nice and warm), when i found them again they had sprouted quite well, so i've moved them into a cooler room with a bit more light now.

Anyroad, there's another post on here about everything chitting ---->

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,6743.0.html

enjoy

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 15:41:39 »
They'll sprout when they are good & ready - depending upon the variety. You can leave them in the dark until they show the first signs of wee sprouts - which will be white. Then, if you can't get the sprouts to grow on black/green, I would get them planted before they grow longer than 1" - otherwise they can get a bit fragile.

Our 2nd earlies are still happily in a dark barn.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 11:07:02 »
i have mine on the top of the fridge.
the shoots generally are about 1cm long so far, and mostly green (do they get enough light then?)

how many chits should i have per potato? does one remove excess shoots to control the amount of shoots?

also, two potatoes havent made a move at all. what is up with those?

cheers
svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 12:36:41 »
Patience!

Green is good! 1cm about right for now. Don't fuss about numbers. When you are planting out, if they are earlies, I reckon leave all on. If main, leave a couple.

And any that don't sprout will probably grow on when planted.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:38:38 by tim »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal