Author Topic: A Returning Member here - can I come back?  (Read 4414 times)

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
A Returning Member here - can I come back?
« on: October 04, 2013, 09:33:06 »
Hello All,

I was a member here a couple of years ago when I had an allotment, unfortunately for various reasons (my youngest went from baby to toddler and wasn't happy to sit in the pram whilst I worked, my husband slipped a disc so couldn't help and our plot neighbour said that an allotment site wasn't a place for children and started throwing broken glass down the edge of my plot to keep them away) I had to give it up, but know the toddler is at school and hubby's back id slowly getting stronger we want to grow our own veg again.

So we have had a what we think is a brainwave, we are going to dig up half our garden.  We have a funny shaped garden so if we mark off a line from my greenhouse to the fence behind it we have a 20 square foot triangle that is in sun most of the day, and in front of it a level square lawn for the children to play safely while I am gardening.

I am pretty sure as long as I don't grow spuds I can keep us in veggies, does this sound a reasonable plan? I will have the 20 square foot plot, my 6x4 greenhouse and my potting shed.

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
Re: A Returning Member here - can I come back?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 09:37:36 »
Welcome back Vicki.m .Despite having two allotments, two greenhouses and a veg plot at home my OH is gradually digging up the lawn. Well you can't eat grass :happy7:
sanity is overated

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:48:58 »
That is true you can't east grass. Rereading my post I have realized I put square feet when i meant square yards. It would be a very sad state of affairs if my garden was only 20 square feet.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 18:41:17 »
Welcome back, sounds like a very good plan  :happy7:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 20:55:38 »
Nice to see you back   :wave: Sounds a decent size, you could always do some early spuds in bags and move them about to where you have a little spare space.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 21:14:29 »
Grow food not lawns... great motto!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 16:53:05 »
Grow food not lawns... great motto!!

I would rather play croquet than eat courgettes. is my motto.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 20:23:09 »
Welcome back.    When my children were young in the summer I used to manage half an hour in the garden early in the morning and another in the evening.   

I used to grow a lot in the garden.   I did not bother with potatoes but a few earlies are good you can then use the space for something else.  I concentrated on things like beans, courgettes and soft fruit.   I hope your plan goes well.

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 09:24:29 »
Thanks for the welcome backs.

The plan is underway, my husband is building a veg cage from wood and debris netting we had on the allotment.  We have spoken with the council and as it is less than 6ft high as long as it takes up less than half the garden we don't need planning permission so should have caterpillar free cabbages.
It seems a lot quieter on here than it used to be, has growing your own gone out of fashion? Seems a shame people want to go back to shop bought veg. Even without a proper veg plot I have had at least tomatoes and cucumbers from the greenhouse.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 10:18:23 »
Thanks for the welcome backs.

It seems a lot quieter on here than it used to be, has growing your own gone out of fashion? Seems a shame people want to go back to shop bought veg.

I think it  is still quiet because of the good weather we have been having I mean well into October and the first frost still to come here in the south east. The site is always more lively when the long dark nights kick in and planning starts for the next year.

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

vicki.m

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 10:32:26 »
You are probably right about the weather.
We haven't had a frost here in the Midlands yet. I am still picking summer raspberries and still have cucumbers going.
Looks like it is changing though,  it was distinctly autumnal when I walked the children to school this morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal