Author Topic: WILJA SEED POTATOS  (Read 2543 times)

rugbypost

• Hectare
WILJA SEED POTATOS
« on: October 01, 2013, 22:52:26 »
Hello everyone hope you have all had a great season.  :happy7:  Been one of the best years I can remember still had no luck with potatoes but beans  I am still picking 3lb a day but they are beginning to look a bit stringy. Was going to try Wilja  pots next year has any one tried them just want them for boiling for salads and the odd 3 or 4 dinners O/H loves cooking if I can stop her from booking holidays all the time Got some cherry tomato seeds to give away will get tin out tomorrow and put them ready to post off to who wants them :wave:
m j gravell

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: WILJA SEED POTATOS
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 22:54:45 »
a very boring potato if you ask me

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 06:52:13 »
Why do you have a problem with potatoes?   There are some great people on here perhaps they can change your luck around.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:55:52 by Digeroo »

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 13:41:24 »
a very boring potato if you ask me

Not one of my favourites either.

there's a chap that walks his dog past the allotment site & always stops for a chat - he always hoots on about Wilja - come to think of it, he's quite boring too!

I wonder if boring people grow boring spuds!

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 14:10:57 »
The MIL always goes on about them when she buys them ,and i am like  :sleepy1:

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 20:42:31 »
Have been cutting back this few years due to health breathing is not to good got C O P D used to work in the coke ovens. MY potato's the last couple of years had blight so tried blight resistant this year did not like them one bit.  I grow in very large pots  three seeds on bottom then 2 more seed pots as they grow up to container. Not looking to be Hip a spud is a spud was just wondering , if the taste was good do they crop well, or if you think another seed potato would be better that's all  any way thanks for the replies :wave:
m j gravell

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 21:03:51 »
Blight is a pain.   Suggest growing earlies so they are out quickly.   I also cut off the tops as soon as the blight struck.   My Desiree are mostly fine in the ground.  I am a fan of Annabelle, but they sent Elizabeth instead and I have been very pleased.  Tops went but the potatoes are ok.  Good as early but also keeps well in the ground for later.

I have been persuading people not to put water on the leaves and stems of the potatoes and we held out slightly longer.

I think different people like different potatoes.  I do not like mashed potato and most new potatoes taste metallic to me.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 21:16:43 »
I've grown Wilja for several years. They are definitely a middle of the road sort of spud with nothing too notable other than a degree of blight resistance I think. Having said that they were all done and out of the ground before the blight came this year. Certainly a good cropper. I've grown sarpo mira this year for its blight resistance and they are still growing despite the blight while every other potato has now been finished off. Having said that, as I've not dug them up, I've not eaten any yet, but I like potatoes all ways, so if its not good boiled it will be baked, mashed chipped or whatever. As for Wilja though, I'd say give it a try and see for yourself.

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 22:55:36 »
BIG GEE  A  Boy from North Whales  that means who ever has a Elephant you will have a box to put it in  :tongue3:
m j gravell

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 01:37:25 »
BIG GEE  A  Boy from North Whales  that means who ever has a Elephant you will have a box to put it in  :tongue3:

Ha ha - Siw'ma'i 'rugbypost'.
Woa there now - I'm a Cardi living in Aberaeron - we don't much like being called north Walian - we're westerners Boyo neither north or south - we are Cardigan Bayers of which Aberaeron is considered to be the frying pan! I know you south Walians call anything north of Carmarthen 'North Walian' - not quite true my friend, although we do crate the odd elephant here too!

I went to Uni in Cardiff in the early seventies, married a girl from the Rhondda. I lived and worked in Cwmbrān & the Rhondda Fawr for nearly thirty years between them. So south Wales has been my home & birthplace of my children. I moved back up here a few years ago.

I'm an avid Llanelli Scarlets supporter, and an old friend of the late, great, Ray Gravelle. Not quite in the same league as him but got full rugby colours in my college days & then played for Llandāf and Cwmbrān - I also got a trial for Glamorgan Wanderers back in the day. That's hardly the CV of a north Walian! Unless you're a George North that is!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:46:58 by Big Gee »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal