Author Topic: Buying a new mobile phone  (Read 3940 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Buying a new mobile phone
« on: May 28, 2013, 12:20:46 »
I am currently looking into buying a new pay as you go mobile phone. I want to stay with my current service provider (Tesco Mobile) but cant seem to find a suitable handset amoungst the available range of sim free ones. All the others are of course tied/locked to particular network providers. Obviously i would like to continue use my current SIM card and number.

I know i cant put anyone's sim into a locked handset but i am confused as to whether i can buy a phone locked to my current provider and use my current sim rather than what will come with the phone, or would i have to start again with a new sim, number, credit etc?

Can someone clarify please? Sorry if this a simple/idiot question. Only have a mobile out of nesessity, but now feel the need to upgrade. Current handset is old and 'dumb'!

Chrispy

• Hectare
Re: Buying a new mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 12:56:57 »
Yes you can, if you buy a new Tesco Mobile Phone and then Just stick your old SIM in and it will work.

Having said that, most providers want you to use the new SIM, I don't know why, but when you buy your new phone, let them know it is a replacment, they may just say put the old sim in, or they may transfer your number and credit to the new sim.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 13:00:20 »
You should be able to get a phone from Tesco Mobile and use your existing Tesco Mobile SIM BUT some new phones use a different SIM - they are physically different and simply wont fit.  There is a round up here but you'll have to check what SIM your new phone supports.  However TM should be able to issue you a new SIM with the same number that will fit - prolly cost you up to a tenner.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 13:15:47 »
I have a windows phone and it uses a micro sim card, its a lot smaller card and will only fit the up to date phones

jim

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 14:07:31 »
If your new phone does have a different size sim, no problem, they will transfer your number and credit onto the sim that comes with the phone, and they should not charge you for it.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 15:00:45 »
Chrispy is right actually they should be free. I just get charged a tenner as I keep losing mine...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 23:38:40 »
Update

Recently got a new phone. Decided to go 'posh' and get a smartphone. Nothing fancy but I see it as a good intro to smart phones. Its an LG locked to tesco mobile. No problems with my old sim, worked straight away so I keep number, credit and contacts.

All good still learning how to use it, particularly the internet and apps side. Haven't yet worked out how to browse internet pages through the phone connection. Email, Facebook and twitter work fine through apps but can't view web pages. Phone does have wifi but this isn't much good when out of range of networks. Any ideas? BBC I player also doesn't seem to work properly but this seems to be an issue with latest version of I player app rather than the phone as other video streaming works fine.

Big learning curve!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal