Author Topic: When thoughts turn to manure  (Read 2208 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
When thoughts turn to manure
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:39:13 »
It's that time of year when we start getting the urge to spread manure.

Then suddenly my image of a contaminated my broadies in 2009 turned up in the random images.

Do remember to test your manure by growing a test pots of broad bean, and also not to bury it.  Not only does the weedkiller breakdown faster on the surface but it can be raked off again if there is a problem.  I also suggest not giving manure to rhubarb, it is very susceptible but if it dies it takes several years to get it back.

I am pleased to say that apart from some very minor effects on two plants (one bean and one potato) the effects have now worn off now on our site, after three years. :BangHead:   Though there is one patch of stinging nettles on one plot which look odd.

The pumpkins grown on the ground where this broadbean was grown were fine, though I had grown sweet corn in previous years.  I am hoping to be able to finally grow beans there next year.  It will be nice to be able to go back to growing three sisters.

I also had some problems with recycled compost this year, presume from weedkillers in grass clippings send for recycling, it killed a batch of courgettes.   Luckily I planted half the batch in Wickes stuff to test it out, and Wickes won hands down.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
Re: When thoughts turn to manure
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 16:08:04 »
Excellent post!

If you'd like to see an ecerpt from one of my newsletters from August 2010 on this subject, which basically backs up Digeroo's comment above, then please click on this link:

http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/newsletters/excerpts/contaminated_manure_aug2010_newsletter.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal