Author Topic: advise for growing grapes in greenhouse please  (Read 2286 times)

andrea66

• Not So New ...
advise for growing grapes in greenhouse please
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:44:12 »
Good morning
A bottom pane of glass has broken in my greenhouse and I was wondering whether this would be an opportunity to grow a grapevine,
I was thinking of planting the vine outside the greenhouse and training through the broken pane so that the fruit could ripen inside the greenhouse. Is this a good idea or should I just replace the glass ? Any advise please as always wanted to grow grapes.
Many thanks
Andrea

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: advise for growing grapes in greenhouse please
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:09:04 »
It is very do-able and provided you pick 'indoor variety' (that is suited best) you should do well :icon_cheers:
One word of warning....you do need to keep up with pruning the grape..or it will take over the GH and turn it into 'indoor jungle'.
I've looked after grapes that grown even in 6 x 8 size GH (just one per GH) and they were fine and there was still room for some toms and lettuce too!

andrea66

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:15:14 »
Many thanks 'goodlife' that is the answer I was hoping for  :happy7: thanks for the advice

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 18:34:52 »
andrea,
As goodlife suggests, go for it!
It will be interesting if you choose a white grape which should do very well. I am trying a red desert variety outside and it has struggled
through the harsh winter and not put on much growth in the fabulous summer. Don't want to move into the GH as there are reasons that goodlife has suggested. Struggle on!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 18:59:41 »
It is a good idea. I have about 30 bunches of grapes ripening in my greenhouse. Have a look at this page for how to plan greenhouse to accommodate a grape :-http://www.growyourown.info/page74.html
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal