Author Topic: Where does charity begin?  (Read 5416 times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Where does charity begin?
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 11:53:48 »
I think you need to talk to your fellow allotment holders.

Discuss the problem of the unmaintained sheds and what can be done about them and who should do it.  Maybe get every holder to chip in a small sum and designate a work weekend to get them fixed with everyone working together in teams - sawing, hammering, teas and cakes so there's no bitching.

Discuss the fund raising too.  If you rely mostly on non allotment holders to come and contribute and it's advertised as being in aid of worthwhile charities you're more likely to get support and fill your coffers.  If you say it's for your own sheds your efforts may yield little result.   

Everyone should be allowed to air their views.  No-one should walkoff in a huff.  Come to a great British compromise - one shed raising event and one charity.
Obxx - Vendée France

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 17:01:30 »
Looking at the pics. again, I agree with Jeannine, the 'sheets' are spaced with clear plastic ribbed sheets.
Still don't like the idea of potential asbestos.
Good luck with your endeavours.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 17:23:15 »
I'm not certain, but that could very easily be corrugated asbestos sheet on some of the roofs, it's about the right thickness.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 18:07:43 »
I'm not certain, but that could very easily be corrugated asbestos sheet on some of the roofs, it's about the right thickness.

Do you think the Council would do anything about it Robert? (I think I know the answer to that)

Our Treasurer looked into the cost of replacing the roof, door frames and doors on each block - I think
he said it was around £6000 per block, and we have 5 blocks. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 09:44:33 »
I think you need a more positive quote so you really know how much you are talking about. But I am sure that if they are threatened with such a bill most people would find a cheaper way of doing it.   

What are the costs of demolition?   Then people could supply their own sheds if they so wish.

Why should the council do anything about it when it is clearly in the agreement that you have to maintain your shed?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 18:07:06 »
As long as asbestos isn't disturbed, and it's not worked on at all, it's usually safe. The dangers arise when it's cut or drilled, or it's being worn down. Anything which releases the fibres. If it's light grey, 1/4 inch or so thick, with a roughish surface, it would be worth informing the council, and asking them to check it out. If nothing else, asbestos would be a danger to anyone working on it unknowingly.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal