Author Topic: briggs and stratton engine  (Read 4932 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
briggs and stratton engine
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:50:37 »
Just got a rotavator with a b and s engine but sadly there is no manual , does anyone know where i can get one from on download or paper . Regards Brown

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
Re: briggs and stratton engine
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:11 »
Just got a rotavator with a b and s engine but sadly there is no manual , does anyone know where i can get one from on download or paper . Regards Brown

Which B&S series engine is it woodybrown? Knowing the model number of your engine will also make it easy to download a manuals or illustrated parts list from the B&S web-site. Are you looking for a service or operator's manual?

You're welcome to download a manual I have in the download section of my web-site, assuming it covers your engine.

Here's the URL address:

http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/downloads/Briggs_and_Stratton_OHV_series_engine_operators_manual.pdf

G.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:51:39 by Big Gee »

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 15:23:05 »
Ta will have a look at that and for serial number,its quite an old machine but worth a look . Cheers :toothy10:

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 16:22:20 »
Ta will have a look at that and for serial number,its quite an old machine but worth a look . Cheers :toothy10:

My guess is you have either an 800 or 900 series B&S (3.5hp) engine if it's driving a rotavator that's a few years old.

This bit of info may help:

Briggs and Stratton engines are identified with a MODEL, TYPE and CODE number system and take the form of the example below.

Model    Type           Code
12F802   0637 01    99070759

The MODEL number is either 5 or 6 digits which may contain letters

•    The TYPE number is 4 digits followed by an extension of 2 digits. Letters may be used in the extension
•   The CODE number is the machine's serial number. The first 2 digits are the year of manufacture
         (the example above was made in 1999)

The numbers can be in a variety of locations depending upon the engine but are generally to be found either:-

•   Stamped into the front, top or side of the main cowling
•    Stamped into the plate over the exhaust
•    Etched into the plastic cover
•   Stamped into the rocker cover on an OHV engine
•   On a riveted plate on the main cowling

Sometimes, plastic covers or excess paint may obscure the details but they will be there.
The only exception is if the main cowling or part holding the details has been previously replaced. In which case the details should have been retained from the old part.

I don't think I can help more than that without actually seeing the engine or knowing what rotavator it's bolted on.

Good luck!

G.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 19:22:47 »
Thanx a lot for the info very useful,the engine is bolted onto a flymo DM rotavator .Many thanx

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:02:23 »
Thanx a lot for the info very useful,the engine is bolted onto a flymo DM rotavator .Many thanx

In that case it's probably the older B&S 3hp engine that you have. The Flymo DM is now obsolete I believe, but here's a manual that will probably be of some use to you:

http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/downloads/Flymo_DM_manuals.pdf

You're on your own from here on!!

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 14:47:06 »
Much appreciated , thats excactly what i was looking for .Mmany thanks your a star :icon_cheers:

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 10:34:19 »
Much appreciated , thats excactly what i was looking for .Mmany thanks your a star :icon_cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal