Author Topic: GH watering  (Read 1859 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
GH watering
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:16:50 »
I am looking to buy a capillary watering system for my GH. Have looked at the self watering trays at Two Wests and Elliot and they look very good. Has anyone tried them or got a better deal elswere ?
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: GH watering
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 08:37:15 »
I use Aldi capilliary matting and a couple of buckets on the 6'x3' hot bed I have (frame made of old decking, layer of polystyrene in the bottom, 40' soil warming cable, 2" of sand, layer of punctured polythene, matting, plants in modules) and it's been very successful, WABOL it will be getting som elighting (LED) on it too this year, I want a crack at a massive onion...

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 06:30:52 »
I was just thinking of something to put the plants on to keep them watered while I was away. I don't want to keep them warm. Your set up sounds very good
                             I want em saying

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 01:19:06 »
I have a vey long seep hose in my greenhouse, attached to a timer that turns on the water. It runs on top of the growbags all the way down one side of the greenhouse, across the back, up the other side, then doubles back to some more growbags and an area of shingle in which I have other smaller plants in pots.  I use pegs to keep the hose in place on the growbags.

The timers are run by batteries but you would need to attach them to a mains water tap. Unfortunately, they would not be suitable if you were wanting to water the greenhouse on your allotment where hoses attached to the mains are forbidden.

I also have a timer that pumps water from a butt into large pots, but it requires mains electric to operate.  Maybe it is possible to buy a solar powered one?

The self watering trays would probably cope at this time of year when it is not too hot.  You could always find somone to keep an eye on things whilst you are away and give additional water if needed.   

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 07:14:19 »
Thanks Pauline. The timer sounds like a good idea. The GH I want to water is at home.
                             I want em saying

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal