Author Topic: Compost query  (Read 3424 times)

fitzsie

• Acre
Compost query
« on: September 21, 2013, 17:08:47 »
Last year on moving I inherited a compost container which was half filled. I continued to use it over summer adding occasional accelerator. On checking the bottom today it seemed to look like very muddy. I decided to lift it up completely and check the contents. The compost was more of a soggy clump and you could see the areas where I had added the accelerator.  The bin was also sitting on brickwork. Not sure of the exact reasons as to what has gone on but I have moved the bin onto soil and mixed the compost with dry soil/grass which was cut today.I have put the compost mixture back into the bin. Have I wasted my time? Is it pass saving?
Bring back Spotty Dog........

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: Compost query
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 17:56:33 »
Personally I would have given the bin a good clean out and started again....and disposed of the soggy mess that came out of it.

The end result should have been dry really,not bone dry but not wet.

I expect not enough mixing of ingredients in the first place and too much green.I would never put soil in my compost bin.

Dont waste your time buying compost activator from the garden centre...use young nettles chopped up...being careful not to compost any roots for obvious reasons.You can also use urine too.Mix one part urine with twenty parts of water being careful not to put too much in and making the compost too moist.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 18:02:11 by Fork »
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 18:37:15 »
I believe a handful of chicken manure pellets, if you use those, can also help it along.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 19:26:32 »
Bury the compost you have where you're going to do beans or squash next year , they'll love it. And start again  :toothy10:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 20:22:18 »
You need about 50:50 with green and brown, the soggy mess in mine is because OH puts in too much lawn clipping.

But do not despair, I find that plants do not mind the soggy mess.   I would simply bury it and plant on top.  As Mani says give it to your Courgettes/pumpkins and beans they will love it.  Then I would start again.

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 16:57:43 »
Or just layer it with browns next time you turn it.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:47:52 »
Last year on moving I inherited a compost container which was half filled. I continued to use it over summer adding occasional accelerator. On checking the bottom today it seemed to look like very muddy. I decided to lift it up completely and check the contents. The compost was more of a soggy clump and you could see the areas where I had added the accelerator.  The bin was also sitting on brickwork. Not sure of the exact reasons as to what has gone on but I have moved the bin onto soil and mixed the compost with dry soil/grass which was cut today.I have put the compost mixture back into the bin. Have I wasted my time? Is it pass saving?

Composting, or the production of decayed plant material which can be used in the garden, is probably one of the most talked about activities in gardening. Everybody has an opinion and many books have been written on the subject, there are even Web-sites devoted only to its discussion. The truth is that there is no 'right' way just a way which suits your own purposes. If left as a pile in the corner for long enough, plant material will break down with the aid of invertebrates, bacteria and fungi, to a crumbly compost suitable for digging into the garden. However there are a number of ways to reach the final product more quickly.

You're welcome to view an article I wrote on the subject on my web-site.

Go to: http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk/basics_composting.htm

or go to the main site (http://aeronvale-allotments.org.uk) & click the "Basics" tab & then the "Composting" tab on the page you arrive at.

You'll also see an actual three compartment custom built compost bin that I use on my own allotment there. All materials were free and recycled!

I hope that helps & gives you a few tips!

G.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 07:17:18 »
, to a crumbly compost
  Personally I have rarely managed anything remotely crumbly.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:22 »
, to a crumbly compost

As aj and Digeroo said, a sludgy mess is a good thing.  It is sludgy because there was no air getting in and aiding the process. Mixed with torn cardboard, egg cartons and paper from the shredder etc and filled with everything else you have, in layers, the sludge should do a nice hot compost before the cold weather sets in.  Only bins that are too dry won't do much.  I think only large, frequently turned bins make really crumbly compost fast.  But if you can wait a year, after a hot compost, worms will be present and will have converted the stuff to a wonderful consistency.  There will always be an old stick or two, or a lignified cabbage or sweet corn stalk to take out and put into the next bin - all good 'brown' material.  Good luck.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 11:59:35 »
, to a crumbly compost

As aj and Digeroo said, a sludgy mess is a good thing.  It is sludgy because there was no air getting in and aiding the process. Mixed with torn cardboard, egg cartons and paper from the shredder etc and filled with everything else you have, in layers, the sludge should do a nice hot compost before the cold weather sets in.  Only bins that are too dry won't do much.  I think only large, frequently turned bins make really crumbly compost fast.  But if you can wait a year, after a hot compost, worms will be present and will have converted the stuff to a wonderful consistency.  There will always be an old stick or two, or a lignified cabbage or sweet corn stalk to take out and put into the next bin - all good 'brown' material.  Good luck.

Good advice.

Composting is all about balance. The carbon/ nitrogen balance and the aerobic/ anaerobic bacteria balance The C/N balance is maitained by balancing the nitrogen rich green mater with carbon rich 'brown' material. The aerobic/ anaerobic balance is all about oxygen.

During the composting process green matter is broken down by bacteria which use nitrogen - and if aerobic, oxygen as well (hence the need for good ventilation when building a compost holder) - decomposing the plant to obtain nourishment. The aerobic process releases heat and this is a useful by-product as it will kill many of the pathogens (disease-bearing organisms) and weed seeds present in the material. There are also anaerobic bacteria which do not need oxygen and do not produce heat. This process is much slower than the aerobic method and releases smelly gases - most commonly experienced with a heap of grass alone which settles into a smelly, wet mass as the oxygen becomes used up and there is no way for fresh air to enter. The way to encourage the quicker aerobic process is by mixing different types of material, turning it to add air, and insulating the heap to keep in the heat.

fitzsie

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 19:11:11 »
Thanks for everyones comments. I think I will be using the "sludge" for next years beans . One other little question - Should the base of the bin sit on soil or can it sit on a hard surface such as brick.

thxs
Bring back Spotty Dog........

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 20:40:06 »
Thanks for everyones comments. I think I will be using the "sludge" for next years beans . One other little question - Should the base of the bin sit on soil or can it sit on a hard surface such as brick.

thxs

For ease of use a hard base is practical - easier for forking/ shoveling. However, a soil base is the best in my humble opinion, because organisms in the soil spread up into the decomposing matter & the composting process is quicker. Also earthworms from the soil are encouraged into the heap from the soil - they then start to 'process' the decaying matter. Some use a wire mesh as a base (above the ground) to encourage air circulation. Personally I've found that a compost bin with a soil base works the best, with plenty of ventilation around the heap to encourage aerobic bacterial activilty. The other BIG factor is insulation to keep your compost heap warm & a lid to stop it getting sodden (& cold) from the rain.

I hope that helps!

G.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 21:17:56 »
Some of my favorite posts here are about composting. Not that they hold brilliant new ideas, but it gets forgetful me energized for some reason to turn my piles  :icon_cheers:
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 14:50:12 »
Some of my favorite posts here are about composting. Not that they hold brilliant new ideas, but it gets forgetful me energized for some reason to turn my piles  :icon_cheers:

I hope that turning your "piles" is not too painful for you!!!!!!

On the other hand turning your compost "heaps" can be quite therapeutic and warming on a cold & frosty morning!

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 18:55:36 »
 :happy7:
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal