Author Topic: doves  (Read 1868 times)

claybasket

• Hectare
doves
« on: September 03, 2013, 21:43:28 »
Well we have 3doves in the garden I feed them seed each day ,there seems to be a mating pair and a single one that I think is there young from this year ,the thing is the male dad, keep attacking the young dove, and won't let it get any food! they have had real aggressive fights is this usuall with doves? 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: doves
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:51:58 »
We had ring necked doves for many years and they always got aggressive with the youngster and drove them away.  It always seems so odd because of all the effort of feeding it.  But I suppose the youngster needs to find its own space, the parents need their territory to raise another chick next year.

We had a pair who nested between the climbing rose stem and the wall in the same spot every year.  It was amazingly well camouflaged.   Then we had ones that nested under the eaves in the end of the downpipe, they must have got very wet at times, but it did not deter them.  Unfortuneately we do not have  them at the moment, so perhaps you could point the youngster in our direction.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:06:54 »
Nina and Frederick just spend all their energy chasing off the wood pigeons.  Nina was brought to us as a young dove and we fed her up till she  could live on her own. She will let us almost touch her and comes to the back door for food.
Maybe she was expelled from her parents nest and care too early but a friend was worried about her and asked us to care for her.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 16:05:55 »
We had ring necked doves for many years and they always got aggressive with the youngster and drove them away.  It always seems so odd because of all the effort of feeding it.  But I suppose the youngster needs to find its own space, the parents need their territory to raise another chick next year.

We had a pair who nested between the climbing rose stem and the wall in the same spot every year.  It was amazingly well camouflaged.   Then we had ones that nested under the eaves in the end of the downpipe, they must have got very wet at times, but it did not deter them.  Unfortuneately we do not have  them at the moment, so perhaps you could point the youngster in our direction.
Ive just packed that youngster of with a packed lunch (a nutty bar ) and a sat nav he should be there around 8ish :toothy12:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal