Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2022  (Read 35471 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2022
« Reply #200 on: December 16, 2022, 20:13:16 »
Sparrow, that is quite an amazing tale, that a couple of years old compost can still have viable seeds in it which duly germinated unprompted.  These seeds are indeed tough.  Looking forward to growing from your seeds.   

I really like the photo with all the Fat Baby Achocha lined up from tiny to yellowing and overmature on your blog.   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2022, 20:17:25 by galina »

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2022, 10:12:37 »
Very pleased two more parcels have safely arrived. I hope Vetivert's and Ruud's make it very soon. Thank you for the further information about your Achocha, Sparrow, and the reference to your website. Very interesting.

I'm building up the information on the Airtable base and will soon be able to provide the link.

I haven't yet put much info about my own varieties here on this thread, so starting with tomatoes:

Ananas Noire
Indeterminate. From Brown Envelope Seeds. An interesting large-fruited Belgian variety with green, yellow and purple in its skin colour and a good flavour
Pink Furry Boar
Indeterminate. Also from Brown Envelope Seeds. A Brad Gates variety with a matt pinkish skin
Yellow Submarine
From a seed swap. Indeterminate. Small yellow pear-shaped fruit. My most productive tomato by far this year. Long season.
Lotos
Pale yellow, quite large, Ukrainian variety. Originally from Real Seeds
Purple Ukraine
Carrying on the Ukrainian theme, a purplish early plum tomato. Attractive, flavourful and productive.
Black Icicle
Galina has written: the first in the series of Icicles or Sosulkas was a chance find of the black one in a field of tomatoes by the farmer,  Mr Kulik who gave them to Denis Terentiev, who is credited with breeding the series.  There are black, pink, orange and there may be other colours too in the series.   I just love the shape, their good flavour and the moderate blight resistance making them outdoor suited.  https://blog.gardeningknowhow.com/tbt/growing-black-icicle-tomatoes/

« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 10:15:07 by JanG »

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #202 on: December 21, 2022, 14:49:09 »
Some more notes on varieties

Peas

Blue Prussian
From HSL. Their description: Syn. 'Prussian Blue', 'Early Dutch Green', 'Fine Long-Podded Dwarf', 'Royal Prussian', 'Prussian Prolific', 'Green Prussian'.
A very old variety dating back to at least the end of the 18th century in England.
Sutton & Sons Seed and Plant List of 1852 describes it as “a useful old variety”.
Thought to have been developed in Germany, though very little is known about its early history.
We do know, however, that it was grown by Thomas Jefferson, the 3rd president of the USA, in 1809 in his garden at Monticello, Virginia.
Growing to 90-120cm in height, it produces white flowers followed by plump, blunt pods containing 7-8 peas in each.

Carlin
An old variety. A soup pea and good in stews, curries etc. Traditionally in the North of England they are soaked overnight, boiled up and eaten with vinegar.

Green Beauty
A mange tout with a large quite fleshy pod, somewhat like Bijou. Bred by Alan Kapuler

Lettuces

Cantarix
An attractive oak leaf lettuce with reddish leaves. It's very hardy and slow to bolt.

Rossa di Trento
Seed originally from Franchi. An Italian heritage variety. Their description: This is an early variety that produces large uniform head with blistered green and red shading leaves. This lettuce is crunchy, tender with excellent flavour.
To be sown from March to mid September and harvest From June to November.

Black-seeded Simpson
A variety documented from the 1850s. A large loose crisphead with crunchy, wrinkled leaves. Quite hardy.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #203 on: December 29, 2022, 10:32:59 »
I do hope everyone has been having a wonderful holiday break. I sowed some onion seeds yesterday, Sturon and Keravel - very exciting!

I've contacted members with a private message to link to the collected information given by you all. Do say if I've got anything wrong. Where appropriate I've also added some photos and info either from my own records or from the internet. Again say if there's anything which is unhelpful or wrong. I believe you might be able to add comments and, if so, please feel free to. It's not quite complete as I still have a few notes for my varieties to add, but I thought I'd send the link now as some of us might have a bit of leisure to browse!

Unfortunately we still have two members who haven't received their seeds. This is hugely regrettable and I'm really hoping that their packages will turn up once the Christmas backlog has been cleared. If the seeds haven't arrived in a week or so, we'll have to see what we can do to improve matters a little. Lots of fingers crossed.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #204 on: December 30, 2022, 12:21:40 »
Yesterday a big surprise dropped on the doormat.Finnally it arrived what a huge collection of seeds.I want to thank everybody for there effort to participed this fine group of gardeners.I wish everybody a healthy green new year.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #205 on: December 30, 2022, 13:08:11 »
Hi all, hope you're having a lovely festive season. The package has finally escaped the bowels of our RM depot and arrived safely. Many thanks to everyone involved  :wave:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #206 on: December 30, 2022, 13:35:13 »
Are we all now safely gathered in ?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #207 on: December 30, 2022, 15:47:30 »
Yes we are, what a relief.  Didn't quite happen in time to go under the Christmas tree for everybody, but well within the 12 days of Christmas and definitely before the New Year! 

With that I would like to wish everybody a very happy and healthy 2023 and hopefully really cooperative gardening weather to complement all our efforts.  Thank you to everybody for making the garden here more special with varieties I would have probably never grown otherwise.    :sunny:

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2022, 07:16:34 »
What a relief! The Post Office certainly had us worried for a while but thankfully all is finally well. I’d like to add my thanks too, and wishes for a great year of growing ahead. I love the fact that we have been able to potentially enrich each others’ growing experiences and, in our relatively small way, probably help to keep some varieties alive by distributing them more widely. Long may it continue. Happy 2023 and happy growing to everyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal