Author Topic: Victoria Plums  (Read 1281 times)

Yorkshire Lass

• Acre
Victoria Plums
« on: September 04, 2013, 18:43:53 »
Have had a wonderful crop of Victoria plums.
 4 weeks ago I didn't think we would get anything as they were small, green and as hard as rocks. A bit of sunshine has worked wonders. Now I'm busy trying to use, freeze, preserve,etc. I've got 70lbs already and still picking!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Victoria Plums
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 19:06:02 »
Lucky lass!  We don't seem to have any on our plot - one huge tree with literally no fruit which is normally heaving with it.  I think we got a frost which nipped the buds!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 20:23:14 »
Ours aren't quite ready, which is perhaps as well, as I'm still drowning in greengages...  :wave:

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 21:41:13 »
Three of us on our allotment site have plum trees - they're all pinging with fruit this year. The only problem (which isn't really a big one) is wasps. They also seem to have had a good year & they're on the hunt for sugar!

The other two plot holders have Victoria & I've got a so called 'improved' Victoria called Jubilee. My Jubilee & one of the Victorias are beautifully sweet, but the other Victoria has harder & slightly less sweet fruit (but still nice) for some odd reason. The fruit on both the Victoria trees look identical and they're only a few yards from each other so the soil would be the same - they're also the same age. We haven't got to the bottom of why the fruit doesn't have identical taste. Any ideas?

G.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal