Author Topic: purple runner beans  (Read 12885 times)

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
Re: purple runner beans
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 14:32:17 »

A note to the moderators of this site: this is NOT an attempt to hi-jack any of your members, neither is it an attempt at advertising my web-sites. I simply want to help all your readers to get the most out of their allotment gardening. After all, allotment gardeners are a wide community and "Gardening knowledge unshared is gardening knowledge wasted" regardless of where that knowledge comes from.

Kind regards to you all. I will be contributing more here in the future.

G. 

No problems Big Gee!

Thank you pumkinlover - I thought it was only common curtesy to check. Some sites are a bit sensitive about members leaving links to other similar sites.

So pleased I'm not treading on any toes!

G.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 06:53:29 »
Welcome to A4A. Your bean looks very interesting.  Does it stay purple when cooked.  I am very interested and would like a few too.  Are they purple when young. 

Have you tried Mrs Lewis's purple podded.  They are a climbing French very productive.  Seem to have got a few runner genes because they produce large bunches of beans.

The Heritage seed library put 10 in a packet and I find that a good number of trying something out.

Well done for creating a new breeding.  I had a great bean which tolerated dry conditions, and was getting very excited about it and then managed to kill them off with contaminated manure.

I like your name too Aeron Purple Star has a good ring to it.

Big Gee

• Half Acre
  • Gardening knowledge unshared is lost forever
    • Aeron Vale Allotment Society
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 11:06:04 »
Welcome to A4A. Your bean looks very interesting.  Does it stay purple when cooked.  I am very interested and would like a few too.  Are they purple when young. 

Have you tried Mrs Lewis's purple podded.  They are a climbing French very productive.  Seem to have got a few runner genes because they produce large bunches of beans.

The Heritage seed library put 10 in a packet and I find that a good number of trying something out.

Well done for creating a new breeding.  I had a great bean which tolerated dry conditions, and was getting very excited about it and then managed to kill them off with contaminated manure.

I like your name too Aer on Purple Star has a good ring to it.

Thank you for your kind words Digeroo!

The Aer on Purple Star is a true runner. I find that French beans tend to have more purple varieties but purple runners tend to be a bit rarer, although there was a very popular black/ purple runner that was grown locally up in the Black Country (very apt area name!) a long time ago. It was very local though, and grown almost uniquely amongst allotments in that part of the country. I can't remember the name of it. Perhaps someone else on here can recall what it was, I seem to think it was something like Black Beauty. It might have sneaked into the ancestry of my APS - who know. I haven't come across Mrs Lewis' purple podded - do you know where that's come from & where I can get my hands on some?

The APS does loose it's striking colour when cooked, but it is darker on the plate than standard green runners. It's also very vigorous, long podded & stringless.

You're very welcome to some of the beans to try - come the autumn when I harvest the mature pods. I'll send you 10 of them. Mail me with your address. I'm currently compiling a list of who wants some.

G. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:10:02 by Big Gee »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 17:40:38 »
Is anyone familiar with the Black Country black runner?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal