Author Topic: wasp traps?  (Read 1522 times)

artichoke

• Hectare
wasp traps?
« on: August 25, 2013, 13:52:45 »
Have just volunteered a wasp trap to bakery next door, where customers and staff are fighting a cloud of them - they are all over the cupcakes and sticky buns (7 to a bun!) in a very unhygienic looking way.

I cut the top off a plastic bottle, inverted it to make a funnel to guide wasps in but stop them getting out again, and put a couple of inches of sugary water, slices of lemon and some honey inside. So far they have taken no notice of it, seeming to prefer the cupcakes.

Any better ideas?

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: wasp traps?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 16:16:15 »
As kids, granny always used watered-down jam in its pot with a single small hole in the tin lid for them to climb in.
I'm not sure about the lemon in your mix because I thought they were after the sweet, not the sour, if you know what I mean. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

You're going to be doing well in any case though, if you can tempt a wasp away from an almost-pure sugar confectionery, with anything short of rotten meat.
That said, I'll bet there is a scent somewhere they simply can'r resist, that isn't just sugar...
Maybe the light from one of those bug-catching, high-energy, zapping machines some shops use...
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

claybasket

• Hectare
Re: wasp traps?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 18:53:35 »
Put one of the cupcakes in it  :occasion14:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal