Author Topic: Pea worms  (Read 2528 times)

lindylou1

• Not So New ...
Pea worms
« on: August 18, 2013, 22:06:12 »
Hi, thought I was going to have a lovely crop of peas this year but when I came to pod them, many were ruined by grubs. This is the first time I've had these and I don't fancy using the suggested chemical treatment, anyone have any ideas or tips I could try next year??? The mange tout were ok so that's my other option but I do like peas straight from the pod......

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Pea worms
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 22:25:04 »
Hi, thought I was going to have a lovely crop of peas this year but when I came to pod them, many were ruined by grubs. This is the first time I've had these and I don't fancy using the suggested chemical treatment, anyone have any ideas or tips I could try next year??? The mange tout were ok so that's my other option but I do like peas straight from the pod......

Yes there are quite a lot of pea maggots this year, many more than last year.  They don't attack early peas and get going with a vengeance from mid-July onwards.  My remedy is to start peas really early and transplant.  This way I get the bulk of the harvest before they strike.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 23:20:55 »
My early peas were great, but the later ones all had maggots/worms whatever in them.  So I agree pick early.   A lot of work for not many peas, how do Birds Eye do so well.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 23:51:41 »
I have done better since I started putting peas and beans into the freezer before sowing.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 06:57:40 »
Grow Mange Tout . You will probably be still eating the maggots but they will probably still be too small to notice. :tongue3:
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:10:09 »
All good sensible suggestions, the freezer works against weevils in storage, not moths. Birds Eye do it with chemicals, I'd rather eat the maggots in my mangetout, or pick them out of the pods than eat those chemicals. You get a better return from taller old varieties...  :wave:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 08:19:31 »
I found quite a few maggots in mine, still found enough for a few meals though.  :sunny:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:20 »
I've had the same problem this year because the late start to the season meant I didn't have much time before the moths struck.

I've read you can cover the plants with enviromesh at flowering time, or there are pea moth traps. Enviromesh is expensive though, and the pea moth is not that small, so there might be something cheaper you could cover the plants with.

Has anyone tried that?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:04:03 »
I've had the same problem this year because the late start to the season meant I didn't have much time before the moths struck.

I've read you can cover the plants with enviromesh at flowering time, or there are pea moth traps. Enviromesh is expensive though, and the pea moth is not that small, so there might be something cheaper you could cover the plants with.

Has anyone tried that?

Yes fleece covers have been recommended as a cheaper alternative (also help with pigeon damage).  The problem with fleece is that is increases the temperature underneath it which shortens the life of pea plants, because they do not like hot weather very much.

I agree with Saddad, there is much more to be harvested from taller varieties, although they mature a little later.  For example commercially available Telephone or Alderman and there are many more varieties available from the Heritage Seed Library or from seed swaps.

lindylou1

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 18:32:24 »
Hi,

thanks for the tips, I think I'll try starting them early as I've been told growing them in a length of guttering is good so roll on next year. Good that I wasn't alone in experiencing this problem but hadn't thought about eating mini worms in the mange tout I grew, thanks for that. Extra protein I suppose!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 19:58:38 »
I've had a lot of moths this year, but then I planted late owing to the late season. I only grow tall varieties so they're often a nuisance, but earlier planting helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal