Author Topic: Honeysuckle  (Read 8473 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Honeysuckle
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2005, 10:32:03 »
Works for me, but do not be in too big a hurry to move the rooted pieces. Give them time to really develop a good root system. If you want to you can sink pots of cutting type compost into the ground and layer your piece into them for ease, as you would with strawberries.
Gardening is the great leveller.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2005, 10:38:29 »
Gorgeous recipe Svea  :)  It sounds absolutely scrummy

I have succeeded with honeysuckles by taking cuttings, removing lower leaves and heeling them in in a sheltered part of the garden at the bottom of a wall for example and then leave them until they are well developed enough to replant.  Same as you do for buddliea etc
I came, I saw, I composted

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2005, 11:39:27 »
So in principal you get a ....   Trailer  a Low Branch and peg it too the ground......then!!!  How long do you leave it there  and when do you cut from the main Honeysuckle!!
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2005, 21:57:48 »
It doesn't take long to start rooting. Do it now and you should have some roots starting to show within a couple of weeks. In a couple of months the roots should be sturdy enough for you to sever from the parent plant. I accidentally left a long stem crawling unnoticed beneath my hedge. I went to move it the other day and had to wrap the loose end round my arm, grab hold with both hands, feet braced against a brick wall, and yank... and when I get out of casualty... I'm going to pot NINE rooted cuttings! NB - roots usually form from every little leaf bunch along the stem so prepare for a large family!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2005, 22:29:10 »
Then of course there is always air layering, if none of your stems are close to the ground ;D
Gardening is the great leveller.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 10:23:24 »
Amazin :D
I'll Try it!! Thanks.........think of all the Family allowance.
Phew!!  haha

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 18:15:53 »
Can honeysuckle flourish in a pot?  I put it in a relatively small pot last year and it seemed to get hit with mildew.  Last week I put it in a massive, and I mean MASSIVE!, pot so that it would flourish this summer.  What are my chances?  Think it'll work?

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2005, 09:40:55 »
Hi quinny,

I grow my Honeysuckle in a large pot. It's in it's third year now and doing well. Just remember not to let it dry out too much.

As for success with cuttings EJ, I just lopped off some bits in the middle of March, stuck them in the container beside the parent plant and out of 6 cuttings, 5 have rooted ;D I didn't use rooting hormone or anything.

Don't know what my Honeysuckle is but it's late flowering and a twiner, doesn't look like the known late flowerers that I've seen.

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2005, 13:27:01 »
Hi TL,

That's good news.  I re potted it last weekend and it's already looking a better colour.  It may be my imagination though!  This one is in shade for the majority of the time, north facing wall, it'll get the sun from about 6pm onwards in the summer. 

I think I'll give the old cuttings a bash, 5 outta 6 is my kind of ratio!

Cheers for now ;D

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2005, 20:52:11 »
Can you prune honeysuckle if it gets out of hand? :o
Chris Pea

potato head

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2005, 22:54:16 »
I pruned an enormous honeysuckle (9 ft x 4ft x 8ft) right back down 6 inches from the ground last autumn, as we had removed some leylandii (sp?) which this thing had been growing around, so it was mainly dead looking wood with flowering tips. Anyway, it has amazed me by producing tons of new growth, I was convinced it was a goner as the bit we cut into looked very old and dried out.  Not sure if it will flower this year though, as it was in flower this time last year and so far only has foliage. Fingers crossed for a late flush?

PH

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2005, 23:10:27 »
My old Honeysuckle was rampant - a session with the garden shears kept it in check and did it no harm at all. Didn't matter if I did it before or after flowering - it was so prolific it just got on with it.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2005, 20:23:47 »
We had two huge mature specimins that I had no alternative but to chop down six weeks ago as their arch was collapsing and in the way.  Hacked them down to four inch height on single inch thick dead looking wooden stem using garden saw.  I was happy to see this week that the one in the right place is budding again all over it.  May take a few years to recover but pleased not to have lost it. It has been hit by a few hard frosts without problem so far.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2005, 08:16:09 »
Hex
Good Morning :)

Interesting to hear!!

I've only this week  Placed the lowest Branchling along the
ground  for self-rooting I intend leaving it there until
just before my Holiday in July....well end June.

Then hopefully I'll be able to sever from the Mother Plant
cut the Roots into section and Pot them up ...any way thats the theory :D!!

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2005, 12:32:28 »
Amazin,  Palustris,

Thanks,  I'll try ground layering.
Good gardening!

John

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2005, 12:11:02 »
Well what do you know.  Had a good look at it today, and there are flower buds all over!  Sorry about the quality.  :-\

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2005, 12:38:20 »
Heres mine and you can just notice a clem appearing in front of it

RichardS

• Quarter Acre
  • In the wilderness of rural Twickenham....
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2005, 09:49:27 »
From what I've read, the standard way to completely rejuvenate a straggly old honeysuckle is to cut it back hard, to within 18" of ground level or so.

I've just done this to remove the bulk of a 8'x5' specimin that would have pulled the new fence down in no time.  Wife wants rid, I can't bring myself to dig it up completely.   If it dies, she'll be happy - if it lives, I'll be happy.  I've got some small plants rooted from a runner, so when the new strong fence & wall is built I'll plant a couple of them against it.

However, this particular one does not seem to have a strong scent - are there any less-than-rampant varieties (so they could climb up the original fence) that have a particularly strong scent?

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2005, 13:40:13 »

It must have heard you EJ  ;) glad to hear it took note and produced some some flowers for you  ;D

Honeybee your honeysuckle looks gorgeous.

I didn't know some Honeysuckles had a stronger smell than others,l thought they were all the same  ??? you do learn some great stuff on these boards.

I have one growing around an arch which flowers,but l have never noticed the smell  :'( haven't a clue about the name of it either.

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2005, 23:07:46 »
OOOOH honeybee - thats pretty!! Ours has just got tiny flower buds but worth waiting for as the smell is wonderful - willhave to try your recipe Svea as is sounds delicious

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal