Author Topic: Seeds what percentage is acceptable  (Read 2048 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Seeds what percentage is acceptable
« on: August 05, 2013, 17:18:12 »
I have sown some pansy seeds and ended up with 33 germinations out of 100 stated in packet.  Is this acceptable, or should I return the packet?  I hardly ever return packets since I tend to think I have done something wrong.  But this batch have been hampered good and proper so this one has niggled me. 

It took me ages to place the seeds one to a module.  There were several weeds, yet brassicas sown in same compost has produced no weeds at all.

Will the rest appear in the fullness of time?

claybasket

• Hectare
Re: Seeds what percentage is acceptable
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 19:39:31 »
That's not good enough I am sick of seeds that don't germinate I would expect 75% to grow ,I use John  Innes  and miracle grow compost not cheap to buy, if your not happy Digeroo let them know good luck. :wave:

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 20:06:18 »
Heck that must have taken some time, one seed to a module.
I would expect 75% germination from bought seed providing i had planted them properly.
I have done my Viola (same family) from my own seed with good results. I scatter them in a seed tray cover with glass then black polythene to keep the light out.
They prefer to be germinated in the dark under a fine layer of compost. It can take 21 days to germination from planting.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 20:37:46 »
It used to be the case thatvegetable seeds were required to meet minimum standards by sample , and the Seeds Act 1920 contained a table of minimum germination. This was declared by seedsmen as a minimum . As you may expect, the larger the seed , the higher the percentage. If I remember correctly , in the range of 78-96% Until a few years ago, stockists of seeds bought on a "sale or return basis, the returned seeds were sampled, blended and repacketed for the coming year. I believe that flower seeds were not covered by the act but the returned seeds were similarly treated.
In my experience, it will be most significant for some varieties if they are stored incorrectly, or not put through the correct temperature cycle. TOO WARM CAN BE AS BAD AS TOO COOL.
Similarly, I believe that the biggest cause for failure is over watering. The seeds generally only need moisture sufficient to restore a living state to allow the germination process. It is all too easy to keep running a can over trays just because the surface looks dry. Also the classic seed compost may contain peat and humus products which act like sponges, good for root formation but wet for the initial phase. You could try "stretching" the compost you use with silver or sharp sand or perlite (vermiculite)and placing trays on free draining surfaces.
Another approach would be to sample the seed by taking ,say 10 seeds and placing them ondamp kitchen paper on your window cill. watch them daily and notice when they show signs of the radical(rootstem)emerging. If you get 8/10 the seed is OK
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 21:37:45 »
You're an experienced grower, I doubt if it's anything you've done wrong....that's a rubbish result, I'd certainly let them know. They won't know there's a problem unless you tell them about it, you may not be the only customer this has happened to...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 17:36:38 »
Many thanks for your responses.  I somehow feel embarrassed about sending seed packets back and tend to do it much less than I should.

There are the beautiful Beaconsfield. I am rather annoyed with myself for not getting them from the USA when my daughter was there, since they are a lot cheaper.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 18:44:19 »
Does the Seeds Act still apply? I don't think there have ever been standards for flower seeds, though the Sale of Goods Act would obviously apply. That's why they sell seeds of things like primulas and Meconopsis which haven't a prayer of germinating after sitting in the average garden centre for weeks or months. They would dare if it was veg.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 15:38:19 »
I really think most of the poor germination is that we make mistakes. I know I have done so, one time I spilt packets of sweet pea seed between my own garden and the one where I worked. I had 97 o/o at work and about 40 o/o at home , I then realised I had given the ones at home second drink. We sow many seeds too deep and many are better with light rather than dark to germinate. Meconopsis is well known to be very poor germinating once it has really dried in the packet, fresh seed sown straight from the pod Comes like weeds but to has to be packeted so we can buy it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal