Author Topic: wildlife pond  (Read 4610 times)

netty

• Not So New ...
wildlife pond
« on: August 07, 2013, 20:56:28 »
Hi I am planning to put a wildlife pond on my allotment and wondering when is the best time of year to do it or does it not make any difference.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: wildlife pond
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 21:17:01 »
Liners are easier to handle when the weather is warm and it isn't blowing a gale, so I'd say now was a pretty good time, and then you can have it finished in time for the frog spawn in the spring.

Don't put fish in or they'll eat the wildlife - some idiot put a fish in my allotment pond, I never did find out who it was, though I have a pretty good idea.  It brought duck weed with it too, so I was very unhappy about that.

give it wide margins and grow lots of marginals so the wildlife can come and go with ease - dragon flies need marginals to lay their eggs on - such a privilege to see the imagos climbing back out after a couple of years lurking.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

netty

• Not So New ...
Re: wildlife pond
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 21:33:54 »
Thanks for your advice that's good because was thinking of starting next month. Don't suppose there will be many pond plants around this time of year though? Also what would you suggest to grow around the outside edges of pond to provide shade/habitat etc ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal