Author Topic: What to do with courgette glut?  (Read 8403 times)

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
Re: What to do with courgette glut?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 19:32:53 »
Well its cooking away i didnt have any of the lemon spice so i substituted it with lemongrass and ginger and it tastes rather good.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

florence

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 18:47:10 »
Courgette Mousaka - uses loads of courgettes and tastes great. Cook a lamb mince sauce as you would for mousaka. Make the mousaka in a large pyrex dish or similar:

Layer of fried courgettes
Layer of meat sauce
Layer of meat sauce
Top with cheese / bechamel sauce & cheese & bake.

Serve with potatoes.

It's a regular meal in the summer for us.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 20:15:45 »
Oh you're all making me soooo jealous. I've never had enough courgettes off my plants since I've lived here. I even grow lots of plants, against all advice. They just either don't like the seaside or they don't like the last few years' weather!

My family love them sliced and fried till brownish. Our favourite is 'Friulana' which is a bit denser than usual courgettes.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 20:54:34 »
I think the key to the success with my courgettes has been to get them started early; on the window sill in March, then in pots in the greenhouse in April, then dig in plenty of well rotted horse manure a month or so before planting out in May/June.

This has worked well for me for the last couple of years.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal