Author Topic: Tomatoes picked today  (Read 3119 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Tomatoes picked today
« on: July 27, 2013, 12:32:52 »
The Sungold are growing outside, the rest are in a greenhouse.

The really small ones are 'Sweet Baby' and they are very tasty but
a bit too small.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Tomatoes picked today
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:26:57 »
Well done!  I have had 3 ripe ones, very tiny, but am hoping that if the rain here blows over I will be able to go pick a few more!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Belladay

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 16:28:20 »
Brilliant, well done :happy7:

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 17:52:15 »
A tigerella, A black krim and a hand full of garden pearl but, boy do they taste good  :toothy10:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 19:04:54 »
Had some 'Marvel of the markets' crop first, small round cherry type, but 'Sugary' which is a baby plum had enough ripe fruits to try today and were really sweet and tasty, I will definitely grow this one again..   yummy.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 19:27:51 »
I have a real success with Red Alert toms this year - they are early and productive and do well in a greenhouse.  I've had bowls of the things!
Sungold and a couple fo other varieties are starting to pick up now..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 23:31:32 »
Sungold, tangella, marmande, black krim, quite a selection  :icon_cheers:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 07:58:38 »
First toms here too at last.  But the greenhouse Sungolds are not there yet  :BangHead:  At least the plants are looking a lot better than last year's weedy things.

That's a nice selection.  Well done.

(Reminder to self - when Squash says, she is sowing, don't delay and sow too  :toothy10:)

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:39:27 »
You guys cheat, growing them in a GH but outdoors, I picked the first real size tomato that is red!!!! Yes!!!! As the bushes are pretty much covered in fruit and flowers, the harvest this year is looking really good, for everyone on the site too. No blight at last!
I am wondering if the cherry tomato that is growing is a Sungold, as I did sow a couple of those. The fruit is quite clearly in neat rows, well spaced, unlike Garden,er's delight which I find tends to be really scruffy in the way the fruit grows! Betty does that sound like Sungold to you? they are not quite ripe yet but almost.

I have some wonderful strange beefhearts growing, they look like this: I saved them from saved seed, from a tomato I bought on a market stall in the south of France! The fruit was delicious so I emptied out the (few) seeds it had. I hope to get some more seeds from it this year, I will offer them to swap ;-)  They are apparently called a Coeur d'Albenga.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 16:07:02 »
They look like my handbags, antipodes, ours came from S africa  :happy7:

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 18:01:23 »
The fruit is quite clearly in neat rows, well spaced, unlike Garden,er's delight which I find tends to be really scruffy in the way the fruit grows! Betty does that sound like Sungold to you? they are not quite ripe yet but almost.

I haven't grown Gardeners Delight so I can't compare Sungold to it but
one of the easy ways to tell if it's a Sungold plant is by the way it grows.
In a good year Sungold would probably reach about 7 or 8 feet and will produce side shoots
like mad. It needs regular staking and side-shoot removing. 
The orangey coloured ones in my photo are the Sungold.

I really don't know why I grow any other variety.  My husband is extremely
fussy about tomatoes and has just thrown away a 'Delicious' after only
one small bite.  He said it was one of the worst tomatoes he's ever
eaten.  He thinks Sweet Baby are 'ok' but he compares everything to Sungold.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2013, 10:06:12 »
Oh no mine is nowhere near 7 feet! So maybe it is either seed I saved, or a gardener's delight....
It's funny, most of the other people on my site seem to buy their tomato plants, so they mostly grow Saint Pierre (which is just a bog standard salad tomato) or Ox heart types, occasionally there will be a long italian sauce tomato.  But I seem to be the only one with yellow and green tomatoes, or other strange types!

antipodes

• Hectare
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 10:05:33 »
I managed to get some pics of my tomatoes!!!

Those "handbag" shaped ones look like this:

I also have these nice heirloom ones, which are green to yellow when ripe, and have a really nice citrus type flavour. Good mixed in salad with red ones. They are flattish and very wide, some kind of Marmande derivative I think; I grew them from saved seed from farmer's market tomatoes bought in SW France.

And these are some kind of small to medium salad tomato, I am even wondering if they are not a Moneymaker?  otherwise they must be saved seed too.

Didn't get a good snap of the cherry toms I am afraid. They are starting to ripen!!!  :icon_cheers:
(oh you can see my grapevine just behind the tomatoes in the last picture! i am so proud of it, it has 3 bunches of grapes! woo hoo!)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 17:24:27 »
My tomatoes aren't ready yet - but then I AM in the NE of England

Debs 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal